Forum Discussion

jp1999
New Contributor
3 months ago

Speed drops after high usage for 5-10 minutes

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to the Cox 2Gb internet plan and have been encountering a frustrating issue with speed throttling. I can achieve download speeds of up to 1.6+ Gbps, but this only lasts for about 5-10 minutes. After this brief period, my download speed drops dramatically to around 50 Mbps.

Rebooting the router temporarily resolves the issue, restoring the high speeds, but the cycle repeats itself, requiring frequent reboots to maintain optimal speeds. This is particularly inconvenient when downloading large files.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Is there some sort of bandwidth limit? Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated

3 Replies

• Hi TLG,

This sounds like the connection between the modem and the router may be the issue. Do you have a computer or laptop that has a network port that can support up to 2 Gbps? To Test you can directly connect it to the modem and run an extended usage test to see if the connection issue continues that way you can eliminate the router as being the cause of the issue and you know it is either an issue with the modem port or the Ethernet cable.

Greg

TLG
    New Contributor

Were you able to fix this issue? I'm dealing with something simular. 

I have recently got super fast internet, 2 GB over coax, and whenever I'm downloading something over 1 gigabit, such as a game update from Steam, the connection between the Cox Panoramic rented modem and my Ubiquiti UDM Pro disconnects after a couple of minutes. 

When it happens, the easiest solution is to unplug the ethernet cable between the Cox Modem and my UDM Pro and plug it back in. It automatically fixes itself and starts providing internet access again until it kills the connection again. Rebooting it via Cox modem reset also fixes it until it kills itself again.

• jp1999, I am sorry you're having issues with your speed. We want to help. When you get a chance, send us an email to Cox.Help@Cox.Com with your full name, address and link to this forum.