Forum Discussion

RahasyaB
New Contributor
4 years ago

Slow Internet speed and Speed test discrepancy

When I am on the Cox website, I get 55 down 2.5 up, but the generic Google speed test is 15 down .8 up. These tests were run seconds apart. Furthermore, all of my usage including ethernet and wifi are incredibly slow, and I'm getting 100+ ping when my friends in the same area are getting much lower ping. Why is my internet so slow and why is there such a large discrepancy?

4 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @RahasyaB

The official Cox speed test runs on the same software as speedtest.net but on servers inside Cox. Our speed test is in-network which tests the part of the connection we are able to control. Have you also tried speedtest.net? If not try rebooting all equipment and run one on there too.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator

breakingbad920
    New Contributor III

I've been having the same issue with ping spikes, speed test is not consistent since I got Cox. I'm switching to Centurylink soon.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Breakingbad920

I'd hate to lose you as a customer before taking a closer look at what is causing the chronic issues you describe. Please email me at cox.help@cox.com with your service address and the name on your account. This will allow us to locate your Cox account and proceed with having this matter addressed.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator