Forum Discussion

kdsnider16
New Contributor
12 months ago
Solved

Recent fiber installation, not all devices connect to wifi.

Had fiber recently installed and setup at home was flawless. Until I tried connecting an older iOS iPad. I've patiently blown off using this device. Today while trying to install/connect a NEW security camera, it also fails to connect to Wi-Fi. Security devices already installed are connected and run flawlessly. I'm using the Cox supplied router. Support Chat suggested trying the WPS button, that also failed. Anyone else experience this that might be able to help?

• make sure your wifi name has no spaces in it. 

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a issue with band steering and those devices only using 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi. See step 5 of these instructions to disable the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network broadcasting the same name. Once that is done, you should see your network name ending with 2.4 or 2.4G on those devices.

Welcome to the forum and the fiber club!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Has anybody figured how to select a channel (frequency) on the Pano yet?  If the other devices are set to one channel, perhaps also selecting Auto on these devices may help.

UPDATE:  This would be after separating the networks.

kdsnider16
      New Contributor

Appreciate the suggestion. Gave it a try and still "unable to connect" using both the iPad and the new security camera.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

So the iPad can SEE the network, just can't connect to it. My guess is a encryption issue then. Try disabling encryption on the Wi-Fi. See here on how. You would want to set it to Open. Then test if it can connect. DO NOT leave it open. Having a open Wi-Fi network is risky but is fine for troubleshooting. You will want to change it to WPA2+AES if possible, once troubleshooting is done.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

make sure your wifi name has no spaces in it. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I use spaces in mine and I have never had a problem. Must vary by router and device. Seems some people have the same problem with special characters. Either way, it seems to be mostly a iOS problem, which OP has, so good tip.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

ios devices and IOT devices will have a problem with spaces in SSID. Actually, never should have em according to specs.