Forum Discussion

Dammitjim
New Contributor II
4 years ago
Solved

Intermittent disconnects with new service, slow speeds overall - SB8200 in Omaha area

I started service 2 weeks ago when we moved into my new house in an Omaha suburb. Previous owner had Cox (looked like a business modem, but was ~12 years old). I'm paying for 500Mb package but we r...
    4 years ago

Update: I have no idea what was done, but 13 days ago the intermittent drops stopped and I have had continuous connection.

Within a day or two of this happening, I moved my modem and router to more permanent locations in my utility room which required me to unplug both from power and the ethernet cable between them. I do not believe this had any effect on the issue I was having.

I did see teams of trucks working on some kind of buried cables in ditches near my house (1/4 mile away) but they had been gone for a week or two before the issue dissipated. They did not have obvious Cox logos on their trucks.

I'm guessing my issue was node oversubscribed, and it was resolved by upgrading and splitting nodes near me, but Cox has not confirmed the issue or the resolution. As I described before, they were not willing to give me more information, add me to the "escalated ticket for my area," provide advanced troubleshooting or anything else beyond confirming my issue description matched an existing escalated ticket and "they hoped to have it fixed soon."