Forum Discussion

phb1342
New Contributor
4 months ago
Solved

Problem with Network: I have Wi-fi (mostly) but no ethernet.

I have the Eero 6 Router and Netgear CM400 Modem.  Everything has worked perfectly for years. In the middle of a program Roku went back to the home screen and said “disconnected”.  Turns out that all of the ethernet connected computers and devices were now unconnected.  Wi-Fi does work, although it drops out now and then.

Did the usual reboots of equipment which didn’t help.  Windows Troubleshoots says, “doesn’t have a valid IP configuration”. I note that none of the equipment or devices connected to the ethernet or wi-fi have changed or acted up until now.  I also saw this alert when waiting for this web site to load (using wi-fi) "DNS address could not be found" although the site did load shortly thereafter.

Would appreciate any thoughts or guidance.  Thanks

pbroughton

San Diego ("cox north, san diego county)

• Try connecting a device direct to the CM400 modem? Don't forget to power cycle it after. Sounds like a router problem to me.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Try connecting a device direct to the CM400 modem? Don't forget to power cycle it after. Sounds like a router problem to me.

phb1342
      New Contributor

As usual, you are exactly correct.  Now, to try a new router.

THANKS!

phil

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

You are quite welcome. Sorry about the bad news on your router. Try a factory reset of it before buying a new one.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Yeah, I missed that, I try not to blame routers, but I think that's where most problems reside. BTW,. the RAXE300 is a fantastic router. 

phb1342
    New Contributor

Thanks for the comments and help.  I installed a TP-link router I purchased but not used just before I switched to Eero.  So far, so good (but slower...) putting all the pieces back together one at a time --  switches and cables cables, just to be sure that I've found the correct issue.

Appreciate this forum.  (Yahoo??? oh my....)

phil

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

What model TP-Link did you go with and how far away are you from it? Also, are you connecting at 2.4 or 5Ghz? Since you had a mesh network before and now it sounds like you don't, I wonder if wifi signal strength is playing a role. Last, have you tested a wired connection to the router?

phb1342
        New Contributor

tp-link AX3000 (Archer AX50) which was still in the box from when I bought it just before the Eero system.  After everything is back together, I do think the speed is ok, but yes a little weak wifi at the back corner of the house.  Because of the ethernet situation during the failure period, I switched the Rokus and the TIVOs to wifi, so that has added a little load, but they seem ok.  Most of my devices are older, so only two or so can use 5Ghz.

I thought at first the ethernet was 'a beat' slower, but maybe not.  According to the Cox speed test, I'm at 286/12 which seems adequate for my use.

Thanks again for you help.