Forum Discussion

Frustratedforwe
New Contributor
2 years ago

Plans and wouldn't reverse back within 2hrs of the call

At the beginning of the month i was on the call with verizon? rep to get fios only to my despair find cox was my ONLY option. Despite not having moved in yet, we decided to just have that ready for now but i was not told that the self install kit would automatically start my day of service when i did not plug it in til 2wks later. Not that this matters since none of the coax worked and tech had to come out. 

I was told i would be getting 2g, that if it wasn't available then sales cannot offer. Despite cox running the monopoly in my area they were so sure we have 2g. I made a grave error of not checking the speed when they got it connected. Their 'top of the line' tower was giving me 600mbps wirelessly standing in front of it. Then 35ft away where the doorbell camera is, was getting intermitten 40mbps max in between turning on and OFF. 

Tech was SUPPOSED TO come with a different tower to see if that was the issue. Sorry, the THIRD tech. First for turning the service on, second didn't do anything and put in the notes 'device is working' 3rd guy was supposed to bring a different one to see if that would resolve the issue, but didn't. So he pretty much did what the second guy did and did nothing. 

After they left i had to lower my speed to 500mb the ultimate plan to do my own trouble shoot. My super old netgear c7000 never failed us but wasn't 'compatiable' with gigablast?? None of this makes sense. Like why i couldn't just plug n play without having to register my modem? I wasn't getting my speed, restricted to only one room to have the modem, and have to let cox know what i use?? 

None of the support seems to underatand what i'm talking about and fairy new to tech support. My issue started out without internet, speed, the not enough speed. The indian rep was suggesting i get extender for 600mb when i was trying to get to the bottom of why i was not getting 2gb. On top of that, the techs don't communicate with each other. 

So my netgear was sending quite low speed at 300mbps at the best, but was sending over 100mbps to the door at least. Only thing i could do was to get upgraded router after returning the cox tower right, nope. I bought a new netgear with wifi6. Not the best, but second or third highest at best buy. On the box it has COX on it along with XFINITY and spectrum. Asian tech tells me 'that modem isn't compatible with gigablast.' Sorry i skipped the part when i wanted to revert back to 2gb. "that promotion is no longer available" so i had to pay 143/mo?? When it was 109.99 before. It hadn't been but 2hrs. Now i'm having to pay 110 for 1gb instead of 2gb. Then this asian lady started to say there's promotion available for 67/mo. I've made sure that she didn't mean on top of 110. Then when i was getting ready to go to the store with tower available before closing, she says additional. In frustration i said no thats not what i want, i'll keep the 1gb plan and not change if i have to pay 177/mo now. 

Today, tech is supposed to come and check the box in the backyard with a ladder hopefully because i'm not cutting down the fence just for their easier access. I'll continue to call until i get what i'm paying for but why are they not honoring the promo i JUST had? 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Testing speed over WiFi isn't accurate, The ONLY way to accurately test speed is over an Ethernet connection, and with 2 Gigabit Internet, you would need a computer with either a 2.5 GB, or 10 GB ethernet connection, (like MY computer uses). Testing over wifi is highly inaccurate, for many reasons, not the least of, the type of WiFi your device uses, EMI/RF interference, as well as other devices using 2.4 or 5ghz reducing the bands available for your use. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

First, I suggest buying your own modem and router. Combo's stink IMO. You would need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem  with a 2.5Gbps port(Arris S33) and a modern router with gigabit ports. That will save you the rental fee too. Second, try posting your signal levels for review. Go to 192.168.0.1 in a browser, login with user:admin password:password , then click on Connection on the left, then click on Cox Network. You want to post your downstream and upstream levels.

As for pricing, this is a technical forum so I won't be much help with that. Maybe someone else can help.