Forum Discussion

BombasticPanda
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Panoramic Modem constantly changing my 5ghz manual channel (band) to a congested one. Modem won't listen to me.

As the title says, I have a panoramic cox modem that will NOT allow me to keep my 5ghz manual channel selection for long or it outright refuses to change it even if I hit save changes. The only band-aid I have currently is to constantly unplug/re-plug the modem so I can change the channel again. However, this is short lived, as the modem decides to have a mind of its own and not honor my decision, thus making me waste my time having to restart the modem constantly. I have also tried setting my online cox modem settings to match the channel selection I did manually by logging into my router. Nevertheless, the modem still won't listen to me.

I live in an apartment complex with a ton of 5ghz bands, so this is a major issue for me. If I keep it on the congested channels (automatic channel selection) I only get around 200-250mbps on wifi. When I use the manual selection (and when it actually works) I'm getting super close or over my 500mbps speeds I pay for.

8 Replies

CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello,

I have included a link below that should help you in your situation. If you have any other issues, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Please not personally. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

www.cox.com/.../cox-panoramic-wifi-app-features.html

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm curious if your 2.4 and 5 GHz bands share the same SSID.  If so and 2.4 GHz is set to Auto and 5 GHz is manually selected, will Pano default to Auto?

Just a stab in the dark.

• Just curious - are you using a WIFI 6 [aka Wireless AX] router? If so - your issue sounds like the router is changing DFS channels which it's actually supposed to do. By law if the router detects radar on the channel you've selected it must change to another channel.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

WiFi-6 only uses 2.4 and 5 GHz and both are unregulated.  Unless you're assuming the OP's Panoramic may be WIFi-6E (Extended), which also uses the 6 GHz band, but I doubt it.

BombasticPanda
      New Contributor II

No, I'm only using WIFI AC for 5ghz. The problem keeps persisting no matter what I do.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @BombasticPanda

Have you tried doing a Factory reset on the gateway?

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator