Forum Discussion

brandonenid
New Contributor
5 years ago

PACKET LOSS with incompetent technicians

I have complained endlessly about the packet loss when I play videogames. Two technicians and 4 help desk calls with no fix. I would even be willing to upgrade to their premium "gaming internet" if it was available in my area.

Has anyone found a fix to this? I have tried 3 different modems with no success.

Is this not a priority for COX? It seems like many people in the US are having the same issues. I know three people who have switched to another ISP because of this.

6 Replies

OpenBSD
    Contributor II

Well hopefully you have a PC and can pay the extra $15 for Cox Elite Gamer for the best route to your gaming servers. Otherwise you're dealing with Cox default routing which doesn't necessarily provide you with the shortest fastest route. To get the best route, Cox has pay to get passed certain parts of the internet that are the fastest route to your gaming servers. Otherwise they use longer routes which they don't have to pay for which obviously takes longer. Reference Fortnight, I'm just guessing that Cox doesn't have that great of a relationship with Amazon.

I get packet loss playing APEX Legends from my console. It's not always the case but it happens on a regular basis.

Zurq
      Contributor II

Can't wait till my town gets more isp's, dropping cox as soon as that happens.

XTK
    New Contributor

I have been having this issue for almost a year now. Cox doesn't care at all. I play various PC games and basically our internet flat out goes out due to the packet loss. (This even happens when watching Netflix/Disney+ etc on Firestick) This problem is both Wifi AND wired. Basically with cox, I call and report my problem. They send out a tech who (if they are competent enough to run the proper tests) says "Yes you have a problem but I can't fix it but I can escalate it" so they "escalate it" and then the ticket gets closed and is considered resolved. Even though they have done nothing. I have gone through this process 3 times and I honestly don't know what to do now. I even had the same tech twice who was confused why the ticket got closed. And when I call in all they can offer to do is send out a tech again. Really stupid. If someone gets their internet fixed, and knows how to get cox to fix it, please let me know. Just not having internet randomly is really stupid.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @XTK

I apologize for the frustration you’ve been experiencing with your Cox services. Are you still having issues since the tech visit yesterday?

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator