Forum Discussion

Lovemylab
Contributor III
2 years ago

OFDM PLC errors on MB8600. on Firmware 8600-19.3.15.

Is anyone else seeing no errors on the event log, no uncorrectable errors occuring on anything but Channel 33 OFDM PLC where they are at roughly 400,000,000 in less than 48 hours. Wondering if it's an issue with the firmware but can't find a reliable reference. Modem is stable, everything is working wonderfully. 

MB8600 on Firmware 8600-19.3.15. 

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Lovemylab
    Contributor III

I've reached out to Motorola as the number is climbing at > 200 million errors a day. (I wonder if there is an overflow error at 1 billion?) The initial answer is "The OFDM channels are different from the rest. If every other channel is zero, except the OFDM channel, then you need not worry about that channel." I responded to the effect that I am aware the OFDM channel is different, but would still like a root cause or at least a meaningful explanation.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a firmware issue but one that doesn't effect connectivity. Like you said

Modem is stable, everything is working wonderfully. 

Don't worry about it.

Lovemylab
        Contributor III

I did get an additional update today, which expressed concern at the power levels being high. That's something Cox would have to address and is certainly more trouble than it's worth given the overall performance.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Can you include a copy/paste or screenshot of the signal levels? What kind of errors are you seeing? Correctable or uncorrectable?

Lovemylab
      Contributor III

I believe I saw something you posted on another forum, and Darkatt offering the same statement. Glad to have your help.

I don't see any way to embed a screenshot. I might be able to save to OneDrive and post a link but I've never tried that on an open forum before. Best I can do at the moment is what you see below.

Only Channel 33 is an issue which is OFDM PLC.

All other channels have no correctable or uncorrectable errors in the last 24 hours.

There are about 43 0million correctable errors on Channel 33 in the last 36 hours, no uncorrectable errors. They climb at an astonishing rate.

As you may be able to tell, signal is 10.8 dBmV, SNR is 45.1.

Everything looks great, except this one signaling channel. Just trying to figure out what the "root cause" is. Motorola and Cox not quite aligned on the codec?

33 Locked OFDM PLC 159 300.0 10.8 45.1 429503215 0
      Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Another zoom modem..... As I said previously, I wouldn't own one, and I wouldn't even give it to my enemies.. They are ALREADY mad at me. 

Lovemylab
        Contributor III

It's the only thing that was available (local retail) the last time I changed my service plan at Cox. They wouldn't put me on the new plan unless I upgraded from DOCSIS 3.0 to DOCSIS 3.1. I had an Arris (I believe the SB6183) so I wasn't thrilled to replace it.