Forum Discussion

ajaxi
New Contributor II
8 months ago
Solved

Not getting posted plan speeds even after in-home visit

Hi folks, wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what steps were taken to resolve. Here's my situation:

• Go super fast internet plan (1Gbps down, 100Mbps up)
  • Cox Panoramic wi-fi router installed
  • I regularly get only 30Mbps down but keep 100Mbps up

Troubleshooting I've done:

1. Restarted Panoramic wifi using Cox Wifi app multiple times. Also power cycled the unit several times. That will get me roughly 1Gbps down, sometimes even more, for about 5 minutes
  2. Tested at various times using Cox Wifi and speedtest.net to confirm 30Mbps speed
  3. Tried wireless and wired (ethernet) speed tests—still get 30Mbps
  4. Did a service call to see if signal strength was to blame. The techs upgraded one of the coax splitters, and I was then getting consistent speeds of 1Gbps down...for about 6 hours.

Should I...

• Try to get a new panoramic wifi router to see if the individual unit is defective?
  • Call tech support?
  • Downgrade to a slower speed if Cox is unable to provide posted plan speeds in my area?
  • Some things to try.

1. Bypass the splitter and see what your speed is then.

2. Put the Panoramic in bridge mode and test your speed.

3. Post your signal levels from 192.168.0.1 > User:admin password:password > Connection > Cox Network.

4. Compare Speedtest.net to what you get on Cox's speed test.

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Some things to try.

1. Bypass the splitter and see what your speed is then.

2. Put the Panoramic in bridge mode and test your speed.

3. Post your signal levels from 192.168.0.1 > User:admin password:password > Connection > Cox Network.

4. Compare Speedtest.net to what you get on Cox's speed test.

ajaxi
      New Contributor II

These are helpful tips, thank you! I tried bridge mode, but speeds went back down just like they do with the standard/non bridge mode on the panoramic wifi. Signal strength levels and splitter setup are here: https://imgur.com/a/EyWmJWd

I'm not sure how to bypass the splitter to try #1 above. The setup is a bit odd, since there is one coax port in the wall of the bedroom, with two wires going into the back of the coax outlet. I am not sure where the various cords lead since I can't see through walls, but one definitely goes the 3rd level of our house. I'm not sure if the main cable signal is coming up from our 1st floor or down from the 3rd floor, but it's likely the former. I tried playing with various configurations of the in/out but couldn't get anything to work except what you see in the image, which is the way it was set up initially upon move-in—the techs upgraded the splitter but didn't change the orientation of any of the cables. 

I do think suggestion #1 could be our best bet since we're not using cable for TV at all, only internet. So we don't need to be splitting signals at all. Unfortunately, there isn't an outlet in the walk-in closet we can use but I might need to try connecting the panoramic wifi directly to one of the three cables there and just running the AC power adapter around the corner. That's perhaps what you meant initially by "bypass the splitter" so I may try that next. Thanks again!

Lovemylab
        Contributor III

Your signal is on the low end. If you aren't using TV at all, I'd take that splitter out, and connect directly into the modem and see if you see the levels at least go up 3 db and then get better functionality. Can you start from where the Cox box is on the exterior and find the first place you can get at the feed? The question in my mind is, are there more splitters upstream that may be attenuating the signal and/or permitting ingress of noise. I'd try to get the modem (and power for it) as close to the demarc/entry as you can.

pennyfan
    New Contributor

I've had the exact same issue. Your situation bullet points are the same as mine, minus having panoramic Wi-Fi. I was told my modem was old, so I went out and bought a new one. I then had to have a technician come out and same thing happened where I had decent speeds for a few hours. About the only way to get decent speeds temporarily is to reset my modem. This has been going on for the last month. 

ajaxi
      New Contributor II

Might be worth trying some of the helpful tips in this thread above! Could be a signal strength issue.