Forum Discussion

m51
New Contributor
3 years ago

No internet from Ethernet wall outlets

5 or 6 yrs ago I switched to AT&T for my cable TV & internet. The guy who did the installation altered some cables in my panel such that my cable box was plugged in to the ethernet outlet instead of the usual coax outlet. I've since switched back to Cox and I want to use that ethernet outlet for my Apple Tv. However, when I connect the ethernet cable, my Apple Tv is showing no internet connection. I'd appreciate any help/guidance. Thanks.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Did you have fiber-optic service with AT&T and do you have fiber-optic service with Cox?

Could you describe your setup...ONT, DOCSIS, router and this "panel?"

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

On second thought, I guess I don't need to know your setup if you're getting Internet service and only connecting your TV to the router.

There should be LAN outlet near your router.  Connect this outlet to one of the LAN ports on your router.  If it's already connected, it should be as simple as configuring the network settings in your TV.  What's the model of your Apple TV?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

i didn't know what an Apple TV actually was.  I thought it was a TV set.  Do you also have a cable-box?  If so, you just want to connect the Apple to the TV, right?

m51
      New Contributor

I want to connect my Apple Tv to the internet by using the ethernet outlet in the living room but I'm not getting an internet connection. that ethernet outlet was used by AT&T previously for cable TV instead of using the coax cable

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Did you have fiber with AT&T?  You may have had 2 components for the installation but 1 of the components may have "handled" your AT&T TV service.  If so, the LAN outlet near your TV may lead to this 1 component and not your router.

If you didn't have fiber, we just need to find where this LAN outlet goes.