Forum Discussion

SB-Cox-User
New Contributor
7 years ago

Netflix in Santa Barbara / Goleta Very Slow(multiple locations)

Beginning on or about January 3, 2018, Netflix performance in our neighborhood began to be terrible.  My overall internet connection remains great as seen in this speedtest.net screenshot (and Cox's own speed test looks fine). . .

. . . and yet Netflix shows are pixelated, pause, buffer, hang, and Netflix's speed test site reports anywhere from 500 Kbps (Note, K, not M) to 1-2Mbps.

I asked my neighbor a couple doors down to try the same tests.  He reports same.  His overall connection is fine but he gets a max of 1.2Mbps at fast.com.

Our internet connections our fine.  But our route to Netflix is terrible.  If I use my cellular connection on my phone to test Fast.com, I'm able to see 5.2Mbps.  So my cellular is better than my Cox High Speed Internet Ultimate package when communicating with Netflix.

I hope someone is able to investigate this.  I'm assuming more information can be gleaned about my address/info by Cox personnel if needed.  Otherwise, if necessary, I can open a support ticket so I can give more personal/technical/address information.

Thanks!

--B in SB

MarkM1
    Former Moderator

aob90,

We would like to check your equipment to see if there are any issue with it. Would you send us an email with your full name & address to cox.help@cox.com? Since the UNO is resolved, there may be other issues causing your problem.

aob90
    New Contributor

Cox is still throttling Netflix. Every night I watch Netflix it drops to 480 when it should be 4k. I just logged my TV into my VPN and INSTANTLY it stays at 2160. This is something I will be broadcasting across the web and to all my friends and family. Cox throttles Netflix.

• aob90,

There have been tickets to investigate and have been resolved. Are you using multiple devices to stream Netflix and get the same results? We want to see what you're seeing. Please run a couple traceroutes to the Netflix server IP address on your device, or devices. You may share them here, or email them to us at cox.help@cox.com

aob90
    New Contributor

I am using multiple devices. When I use my TV or Phone or Computer with my Wi-Fi WITHOUT my VPN turned on, I am being throttled. When I hide my IP address with my VPN using the SAME Wi-Fi on the SAME devices, I am not being throttled. 

• Hello aob90, Want to let you know that we do not throttle any connections. What this sounds like is a routing issue as when you use a VPN your connection may be taking another route. Does this only occur when using Netflix or does this affect any sites you navigate to? You can test this by running tracerts using both your standard and VPN connections and compare your readings. If you would like we would be happy to look at them as well. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.