Forum Discussion

FabioToroDaBull
New Contributor II
10 months ago

My Panoramic WIFI Gateway is ignoring the Security Preference DISABLE COX HOTSPOT

I disabled the Cox SSID and put the Panoramic Modem/Router in Bridge mode, but the radio is still ON!! No SSID just the radio transmitter. Is there any way of un-aliving the radio. Please!!

13 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

After disabling the Hotspot, did you reboot your modem?  Why do you have the Panoramic?

FabioToroDaBull
      New Contributor II

It's what Cox provided me, but I did ask just for a plain modem. In order to get a better deal the panoramic was recommended. I asked if I could turn the WiFi off and place it in bridge mode and they said yes. The tech did not do either. I might look at the list of approved modems and just buy my own.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I don't know how it's a better deal if you have to rent it.

I agree with returning the Panoramic because if what Mouth wrote is correct, the Panoramic is obstructing you to comply with your wife's mandate.

FabioToroDaBull
      New Contributor II

Typically, you turn off the WiFi and that's it. This modem you turn off the WiFi and the waveform continues. Yes it is no longer broadcasting the SSID, but I can see the waveform on the WiFi analyzer. My wife does not like radio transmitters near her, so...

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        Yes it is no longer broadcasting the SSID, but I can see the waveform on the WiFi analyzer

I think that is the ZigBee connection for Cox Homelife and it can't be disabled. See here for more info on the ZigBee RF exposure. Won't it be right next to a Wi-Fi router making the health concerns moot? Either way if you are that concerned why not buy a stand alone modem? Won't have to rent the gateway as a bonus.

Just to be clear, you are not talking about the Hotspot right? That would show up as a normal SSID.

• If you're putting the device in bridge mode I have to ask, are you trying to disable wifi or the CoxWifi hostspot?  From my experience, I don't think you can disable the wifi radio but if you're still seeing the CoxWifi hot spot, that's another setting that needs to be changed.  Note if you disable your CoxWifi hot spot, you may still see it broadcasting by way of neighbors.

FabioToroDaBull
      New Contributor II

Yes, I'm trying to disable WiFi. I don't need it as I have multiple access points backhauled to the router. I figured out how to put the modem in bridge mode to eliminate the Wi-Fi, but when I look with a WiFi analyzer the waveform is still there. It's not a neighbor, etc. And my wife wants the least number of radios, in particular in her house. As you probably guessed I am relegated to the garage and only come in for meals. Hahaha!!

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Setup the SSID on the the modem to be the same as your access points to become part of your mesh network.