Forum Discussion

JohnS-AZ
New Contributor
3 years ago

IP Address from Another City

I'm very annoyed! The latest Cox Communications update (May 2021) changed the IP address to Tucson, Arizona. I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Customer support was ZERO help. Reboot, reset, and every other suggestion in the support library or community was also ZERO help. The only useful item found was a similar posting where someone in Mesa, AZ had an IP address located in another city FIVE YEARS AGO. The response: it's a temporary situation. Uh huh.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue so the IP address on my system shows my actual location or a location closer than 200 miles away?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • What service / software / web site is displaying your location? IP addresses are not inherently associated with a location so depending on which service / software / web site is displaying your location, the IP address-geolocation database used by service / software/ web site could be old.

To learn more -

usersinsights.com/.../ 

JohnS-AZ
      New Contributor

Every browser (Edge, Firefox, Chrome) shows my location is in Tucson. All the website I've visited, some for the first time, all show my computer located in Tucson. 

This is issue has nothing to do with 'old'. It started with whatever Cox did earlier this week that took the internet down overnight. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Did you recently install any anti-tracking or ad-blocking software?

These locations are just from where a web-request came or at least a fuzzy geographical location...such as a router within a Cox enclave.

You may have been successfully blocking these tracking attempts at your computer(s) all along but your previous enclave was in Phoenix...so websites assume you were in Phoenix.  For some reason your Cox hosts are now in Tucson...so websites assume you're in Tucson.

It's not necessarily your location but the last known or closet location a web-request originated.

If you want websites to know your location, disable any anti-tracking, ad-blocking or cookie-deleting software.  I understand Win10 likes to advertise your geographical location, so you could enable this as well.

Mark_H
    New Contributor

Same thing here in Tempe!  It started about 2-3 weeks ago after and outage.  It's messed up my YouTubeTV local channels until I had to reset my home viewing area on every device!!  And about the same time, I think, I lost my access too my SB8200 web interface.  It's just not resolving to the web page!! Why would they disable that when I couldn't change anything anyway!

Dave9
      Contributor III
      Same thing here in Tempe!  It started about 2-3 weeks ago after and outage.  It's messed up my YouTubeTV local channels until I had to reset my home viewing area on every device!!

Cox has no control over the third-party services that are used to try to guess your location. Technically an IP address is not connected to a location at all but in many cases it's possible to guess the location. Unfortunately you'll need to wait for the third-party location services to update their databases. There's nothing you can do to speed up this process.

I lost my access too my SB8200 web interface.  It's just not resolving to the web page!! Why would they disable that when I couldn't change anything anyway!

If it's not connecting at all when you go to 192.168.100.1 you're probably affected by a known bug in the latest firmware (AB01.01.009.51_080720_183.0A.NSH) that causes the modem's internal web server to stop working after a period of time, or after several accesses, or when the log exceeds a certain size. You can fix this by power cycling the modem or by using the Reset Modem option in the Cox app.

If it's asking you for a password but you don't know the password, try admin for the user name and the last 8 digits of the modem's serial number for the password. Make sure you're looking at the serial number and not the MAC address or anything else.

Mark_H
        New Contributor

yes, thanks, that I did know. I've just not recycled the cable modem as I've not negotiated a time to do so with the wife 🙂.