Forum Discussion

Larry_c_
New Contributor
4 years ago

Internet fails when temperature drops

Been fighting this for a week now.  Tuesday 11/10/20 internet out all day.  Worked with tech support 4-5 hours including replacing modem (at cox tech’s recommendation).  No luck getting service back. Next morning (Wednesday) service came back on in late morning around 10Am.  Had a service dispatch requested, soonest available 5 days out and made the mistake of cancelling since service came back up. That was my mistake as that afternoon when the temperature drops below low 40’s service fails again.  Again requested on-site assist (soonest 5 days out).  Same pattern still repeating each day.  Service goes out when temperature falls in evening and magically restores when temperature increases.  7 days now and many hours of intermittent  service.  Tech came out once and replaced some questionable cable, thought that would fix trouble, but last night same problem showed up. Wednesday, came up about 10AM.  Now at day 8 and sure Wish we had an alternative provider.  

4 Replies

Dave9
    Contributor III

Check signals and logs when the issue is happening. Post the signal (status) page and log page so others can help you identify the problem.

Larry_c_
      New Contributor

I have a log of times this service comes on and goes off.  As I stated, the outside temp is a clear indication of the problem. The signal level my modem sees varies from +5 to 9 dbm when service is up to dropping to negative 10 to-12 dbm when it’ down. I feel the repair tech has done what he could but this needs to be escalated to a manager.  I am going into 8 days with service up only a few hours each day.  I will write the Kansas Corporation Commission for a formal complaint. I can’ Seem to reach anyone on the 800 number.

Dave9
        Contributor III

Definitely sounds like something is coming partially disconnected or otherwise malfunctioning in the low temperatures. To go from +5 to -12 is not a normal variation. I suggest having another tech come out. Sometimes it takes more than one visit for them to figure it out. I've been averaging a service call about every 2 months to keep my connection stable. It's never my equipment and always something further up the line. It's just the reality we deal with when using cable internet.