Forum Discussion

tylernall30
New Contributor
4 years ago

Insanely bad ping spikes.

This is what my ping looks like throughout the day with Cox "Gigablast". As you can see this is anything but gigablast. My ping will constantly spike like this throughout the day. Sometimes it goes away after 2 am but I'm not trying to play games after 2am. There has to be some kind of explanation to this. Honestly if I could switch ISP's I would. It's horrendous. I don't even want to play my games or watch a stream because of how unstable the internet is. I will be trying to get a tech to my house soon but over the last couple of months it has been getting worse and worse.

https://imgur.com/a/U1hMrOn

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Kalebkk890
    New Contributor III

I have been battling Cox on these issues for just under a year now since COVID started. The problem is nearly all of their nodes that your modem is directly connected to are well over 100% utilization which causes incredible packet loss and spikes. The internet speeds usually aren't effected but the latency and packet loss is definitely noticeable. There are two things you can do and that is to file an FCC complaint about the packet loss and you will be able to talk to their actual engineers who are "diligently" working to split these nodes to help with saturation. They will probably give you some date that is months and months away when your node will be fixed and they get away with this without even a slap on the wrist because they have a "plan" to fix it. The ISP monopoly has been a travesty for years and COVID has only made it much worse and noticeable. The second thing you can do is go to https://fairshake.com/ to ask for a settlement to reduce your bills or pay you back for their service they aren't able to reliably provide. Don't take the first offer because it will be very low for what they actually deserve from this country wide failure.