Forum Discussion

Dave9
Contributor III
4 years ago

Here we go again, part 5

Who needs a calendar when you have cable internet? It's been 6 weeks since the last upstream noise issue, and like clockwork...here we go again! It's been happening for a few days. This is just one example. I'm not initiating a service call yet since the level of packet loss is tolerable at this point, but I know it's likely to get worse.

03/01/2021 07:44 82000500 3 "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=(redacted);CMTS-MAC=(redacted);CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;"

Notice I didn't blame Cox. This is a problem with all cable internet systems. It's a function of the technology, not the individual provider. I can't wait until I can get fiber from Cox or from someone else. It will be so nice to have internet that can't be affected by neighbor's actions such as hooking up an old TV or using a kinked cable in their house.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Dave9
    Contributor III

I should get a side gig as a fortune teller. Packet loss is up to 5% and starting to cause issues. If Cox doesn't notice and correct the issue within a day or two I'll have to open a service call.

MaryF
      Former Moderator
      Hi Dave9,

I apologize you've been experiencing packet loss. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name, account holder's name, street address, and details of your issue so we can take a closer look and if needed, we can set up a service appointment.

Mary
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Dave9
    Contributor III

Tech came out but packet loss was only at 0.7% when he was here so he couldn't open a plant ticket. I realized too late that the T3s are happening mostly in the morning and I should have asked for a morning appointment. But I know that when everything has been working the packet loss is basically 0% so I'll have to wait for it to get worse before it can be fixed. The tech did at least send in notes to Cox about what I was saying so no complaints there.

At this point I can't really even be too upset with Cox. It's amazing that they can keep such a fragile technology as DOCSIS working as well as it does. I can't think of any other technology where someone plugging in an old VCR or using a damaged cable inside their home can affect service for a whole neighborhood. Of course I want it fixed eventually but the issue is tolerable for now. Maybe they can watch the statistics on the node or something and use that as a next step.