Forum Discussion

rho900
New Contributor II
22 days ago

Fiber drops connection/packet loss every 20 mins. New customer needs help.

I just started Cox service last week at a brand new house with Fiber Terminal CALIX GP1100X and Panoramic Wifi. The internet connection constantly drops/packet loss every 20 mins or so. I have replaced the Panoramic wifi with a new EERO wifi now. Speed is much faster but the drops problem continues. Chat with tech support in India who asks for $100 to send a technician or $10/month to join Cox Care. This is a brand new install so I should not have to pay for equipment that fails on day one. Any one has suggestions before I file complaints with the FCC? Should I try replace the CALIX GP1100X as well?

4 Replies

Salty1
    New Contributor

Ive had the same issues for the last few weeks now. But it seems around the hour or so mark. It completely throws me out of a game to desktop and discord I sound like a robot for about 30 seconds. I’ve just completely reloaded windows from scratch so it’s not on my end. 

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I'm really sorry to hear about the sporadic service. I'm sure it's frustrating and I want to help.  Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We will be glad to assist you. 

rho900
    New Contributor II

Chris contacted me through email. I am going to get an adapter to capture network traffic directly through the ONT. Hope this will give a better idea on what the issue is.

rho900
    New Contributor II

The problem is fixed. I now pay $10/month for Cox Care. A technician came with a fiber optic power meter to find out the signal power was way out of specification. The technician trim the line from both the inside and the outside of the house to get the signal within range in less than 15 mins. I reboot the ONT and the EERO twice before everything works as expected.

This whole issue can be avoided if the installation technician verifies the signal power before connecting the fiber line to the ONT the very first time. Not blaming the installer but the management for lack of procedures training.