Forum Discussion

Edward88
New Contributor
3 years ago

Ethernet not working from modem

Hello!  I've recently noticed my PC desktop isn't getting a signal via the ethernet cable running between it and my router/modem.  It's worked in the past, and said desktop is still getting WIFi (as are the rest of my devices in my home).  I've restarted the modem and also replaced the cable to no avail.  Also worth noting is the fact that all 4 ethernet ports on the back of my router are now glowing orange - one is also flashing.  This is new.  LIke I said, I'm getting internet but it's not going through the ethernet cable for some reason.  I've tried troubleshooting with no luck as well.  Not sure if the problem is with the modem, my computer, or something else entirely.  Any help appreciated!

Modem: Zoom 5350 (Series 1092)

42 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

As for a new router, consider these things...

Roughly, how much area does your WiFi need to cover?
    One router or a mesh system (2+ routers)?
    How many users in your house?
    What NIC in your current devices?
    What NIC in your anticipated devices?
    USB ports to share a printer or storage drive?
    Parental controls?
    Lastly, how much do you want to spend?

Some research from 4 months ago.  You'll see the table in the thread.
    forums.cox.com/.../panoramic-wifi-pods-2-0

Edward88
      New Contributor

It's just me in a small studio apartment, 300-400 square feet (welcome to SD).  And it's mostly just me using it, and all I need to connect physically is my desktop.  All other devices and printer are wireless.  No need for parental controls.  And spend as little as possible, ha!  Preferably less than $100.  I see three in that price range on your list - does "score" refer to your personal rating?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

My list is a copy-and-paste from a Consumer Reports article, into a spreadsheet, then a text document.  It's Consumer Report's score.

Of course, the list only contains routers.  You'd have to buy an Internet modem.  The technology for Internet modems is DOCSIS.  Your current DOCSIS is 3.0...newer tech is 3.1...however, 3.0 is fine for most data plans.  I have a 3.0...and a g-router.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Is your wired NIC enabled in your Network Connections?

Edward88
      New Contributor

I went into Network Connections and it doesnt seem to recognize that there is a cable attached.  When I use troubleshoot it says that a cable is not connected or possibly broken.  It IS connected, and I did just replace to cable.  I suppose both cables could be faulty.  Is there a way to "enable" it? 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Windows?  You should be able to right-click and enable.