Forum Discussion

Mel1
New Contributor II
2 months ago
Solved

Email Switch to Yahoo and Outlook

Unable to connect Outlook using POP or IMAP instructions for Yahoo Mail.  It appears Yahoo is not set up for Outlook to connect our Cox.net email accounts to their POP or IMAP servers (pop.mail.yahoo.com or imap.mail.yahoo.com).   Suspect the servers are rejecting anything that isn't a yahoo.com extension.  One would of thought Yahoo would have planned for this ahead of time for the Cox.net extensions.  When I was able to talk with a person, their suggestion was to wait 24 hrs. and try again.  i.e. trying too soon after the switch

The switch to Yahoo mail is anything but good.  Since switching, about half the time Yahoo is not available and/or takes repeated logins.  Yahoo's AI chat bot (AKA Help) is not set up to be much assistance to those with a Cox.net extension.  Yahoo wants you to pay for premium service to resolve all but the very basic issues.   Always referring you to a tutorial on Yahoo's help page.... which most have already looked at before starting a chat.

56 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    DonSeay
    New Contributor II

Monitoring this thread for a solution. I'll post one if I find it.

mbarrett8
    New Contributor II

My email was switched last Friday but I am not able to get Outlook to work with the Yahoo settings. Just now I was able to get it to work with the Outlook app that comes with Windows 11.  During the setup I was able to select Yahoo as the provider, it only retrieved emails that were stored on the server just like an IMAP connection.  Before the transition I used Outlook setup with a pop server so I have a PST file with my old emails.  Hopefully at some point Yahoo will get the bugs worked out so it will work with the Outlook contained in an Office suite.

Rdrolet
      New Contributor III

mbarrett8

Thanks for sharing. I expect to receive the go email very soon. So to be clear.  I use Outlook 2019 windows desktop as my primary email application, filing filtering etc. And I expected to "simply" change existing pop, smtp, ports, encryption (as listed in yahoo doc). And new password (that I presume is necessary when you sign up for Yahoo web access). Does that sound like your process?

I am beginning to see recommendations that one needs to use the Yahoo password generator app; on their web site? Di you investigate that? Note that it still unclear to me if the Outlook setup should use the new password (setup during web phase of yahoo) or the new password that the app generator produces.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this?

Richard

Mel1
        New Contributor II

Your are correct in that you use password generator in Yahoo for the password you enter into Outlook for with the server setting.  Not your Yahoo password you use to log into your account.  DonSheay posted a link that shows exactly what to do. 

Note: there are two the outgoing mail server ports listed (465 & 587).  I and another have had "failure" with one and success with the other.  So is one doesn't work, use the other.

FYI - I use Office 2016 on a Windows 10 PC.  Outlook is part of the Office suite. 

Al2
    New Contributor II

After creating the app password and getting the POP3 end of it working, I looked again at the smtp settings.  The instructions from Yahoo said to use either port 465 or port 587.  I was already pointing to 465 without luck, but changing it to 587 made it work.  I can now send and receive messages through outlook to/from the Yahoo account.  Not sure if this will help everyone, but good luck.

Thank you DonSeay for the link you found and provided.

Mel1
      New Contributor II

After creating the app password per the instruction in the link provided by DonSeay, incoming connected but outgoing didn't as I switched to port 587.  When I switched back to port 465, outgoing connected and now I too am able to send and receive through Outlook to/from the Yahoo account.

Hats off to DonSeay for the link he found and provided.

dp118
    New Contributor II

DonSeay's instructions worked for me.  I'm using Windows 10 PC running Microsoft Office 2019 Outlook.   I did not have to delete any cox email accounts in Outlook to make the changeover.

I had to setup my Yahoo account first using the link provided in Cox's email indicating it was time to changeover.  I successfully did this, and all emails and file folders transferred to Yahoo and can be read in Yahoo's email web browser.

Then I opened Outlook on my PC.  I used the Outlook "repair" function, "advanced" settings on my xxxx@cox.net email account to get it to work.  I also didn't need to setup two factor authentication in Yahoo to generate an Outlook specific password link on Yahoo.

When Outlook successfully establishes its new connection to Yahoo servers, it starts using my old transferred email account and repopulates all previous files with their subfolders and emails.  This takes a couple of minutes.  It then began downloading all new "inbox" emails.  I did a test email to my Cox.net email account to check it worked and it does.  Working perfectly and seamlessly now. 

mbarrett8
      New Contributor II

Was your Outlook account using pop or imap settings?

dp118
        New Contributor II

Use imap settings for incoming servers when resetting Outlook to work with Yahoo.  These are the servers which must be reset in Outlook.

Incoming:  imap.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing:  smtp.mail.yahoo.com

chellirn
    New Contributor

Someone please fill me in on what is going on.  My cox email disappeared 2 days ago.  Cannot receive anything on my iPhone or MacBook.  I'm reading through all these "Yahoo" discussions, but I do not have Yahoo.  So is my problem different?  I am in the dark here!  HELP please!😩