Forum Discussion

NicolasIsidro
New Contributor
2 months ago

Download speed throttled

I pay for 250 down/25 up, however my download speed is almost always close to a tenth of that. The only way to get the advertised speed is to reset my router. However this is only a temporary fix, and it quickly drops back down to the lower speed.

Speed test before resetSpeed test after reset

This has been going on for months and I am sick of it. I have tried contacting support but all they do is reset my router, which again only solves the problem for an hour or so. I have even gone to the Cox store and gotten a new router and the problem has persisted. I know for a fact that I am being throttled because it occurs on every device whether it is connected by ethernet or by Wi-Fi. It happens even when I am nowhere near reaching my data cap for the month as well. Please let me know what I can do to resolves this, it is very infuriating only getting one tenth of the internet speed that I pay for.

8 Replies

iggyaz
    New Contributor II

This is why I'm moving on to another Service now that Cox isn't the only one available.
    $5 more a month and get 4 times faster Download Speed and 85 times faster upload with no throttling or limits. Did I mention 100% fiber.

Ratboy124
    New Contributor

It's like you're having the exact same situation as me, only issue is I live in an apartment complex, and don't have the luxury of changing internet providers, but its the same thing for me. I'm supposed to get 500gbps, and instead it throttles down to 10-20 until I physically reset my modem. I've gotten two replacement modems, and two technicians have come out to work on it. The first one said they fixed it when they didn't, and the second one said they tried everything and couldn't find a single issue. It's INFURIATING.

NicholeC

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you've been expeirencing speed troubles. We'd be glad to review the issue further. Please email my team at cox.help@cox.com

Thank you.

• I'm in the same situation right now. I live near Faircity Mall, and there was an issue with internet connectivity delays in this area that lasted quite a long time. The repair was completed recently, and since then, I've been experiencing the same problem. According to your update, it seems COX doesn't have a proper solution either. I'm considering whether I should switch internet providers. I've been using this service for two years.

DustinP

Jiahnindira,
      We value your business and want you to remain connected at all times. We can investigate this on your behalf. Could you email us at Cox.Help@cox.com with your name, address, and some detail of the issue? 

• Update: After a Cox technician came to my apartment he said there was interference with the coax jack I was using and said to use the other one. Despite this, the issue has persisted. I have been getting download speeds as low as 5 Mbps until I reset the router, at which point it goes back to the advertised speed.

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

Are you testing over WiFi, or using a computer connected via ethernet?