Forum Discussion

Glenee
Contributor II
4 years ago

Data Usage

I was having a hard time understanding my Data usage and some spikes on some days and why. A couple of things I have discovered are :

1. It is hard to believe how much data is used in updates for computers, phones, cameras, and various everyday electronics.

2. There is a Big difference in 4k and 1080P video with very little eye candy difference. Remember that if you had your video resolution set to 720 or 1080 you will have to reset it on some updates.

I have put a couple of Data meters on my router to monitor Data usage in and out, wireless or hard.

Right now I am in the process of finding little known culprits who don't have permission to use my data for their data, because if I can tie their use, to a cash cost for usage I may have a chance of getting them to stop in a legal way.

I posted this so others may start to find out where their data goes. If anyone knows of any Big Data user's please post so I can look at them too.

bearone2
    Contributor III

cameras, 4k are big draws!

when i log into cox for the forum, i l also check webmail for spam + my wifi for who's connected/not connected within my own devices.

Glenee
    Contributor II

Bear I have just a little different set Up,and don't have my WiFi. Is that not reservered for Panoramic Users ?

bearone2
      Contributor III

i ran an additional router from the modem for wifi for years before current panoramic.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    video resolution set to 720 or 1080 you will have to reset it on some updates

Updates to what?  Contour?

Video preferences (720, 1080, 2160, 4320) would be specific to a service-provider (Netflix, Prime, YouTube).  If you have 5 streaming accounts, you'd need to log into each account and attempt to set a preferred format.

If you feel you have an unknown culprit, you should change the passphrase of your network.

A while ago, there was an interesting post about "background" streaming.  I'll try to find it.

forums.cox.com/.../netflix-or-any-other-streaming-service

Glenee
      Contributor II

Thanks Bruce. I had to teach the wife about this one. Autoplay can use ton's of data if people are not careful.

Glenee
    Contributor II

My average use is somewhere between 10 and 30, for the past 3 days my usage has shot up to 115,54,70. I have not changed one thing in my usage habits. I can not for the life of me find the culprit. Any suggestions.

Glenee
      Contributor II

Is there anyway Cox could just have a Bad Data usage counter ?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I don't subscribe to any streaming service, so I don't stream a lot.

In November, however, I started streaming via Roku just as an escape from cable TV.  During my increased streaming, I curiously checked the Cox data meter and it measured 200 GB for the then-current billing cycle.  I was nowhere near my cap but was kinda shocked at 200 GB because I set my account at the lowest format.

I was still streaming in December and I again checked the data meter.  In the 3-month graph, Cox mysteriously measured me at 92 GB for previous cycle of November.  Cox had 1 measurement at "real time" and then a less-than-half measurement afterwards.

So, yes, there is something off with the Cox data meter.  It's not reliable, it's undependable and wildly erratic.  It's just the new normal of service lunacy in our lives.

Glenee
      Contributor II

The only reason I even ask was that my ORBI RBR850 bandwith/Data meter and the Cox Data meter are not even close. I'm not bitching just trying to find out why so much change in 3 days as compared to years.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        I'm not bitching

On 1 hand, I wouldn't either because sub-standard service is the new normal.

On the other hand, some of us should be because what is this meter "saying?"  It could be saying, "you're dangerously close to paying us more."