Forum Discussion

Nessa
New Contributor II
29 days ago

DATA USAGE DOUBLED W/NEW MODEM

I've been a COX customer since 2015. If I had any other ISP choice I wouldn't stay with COX this long. Last year for 4 straight months my internet would be down more hours/days than operational. We're not just talking about gaming or streaming services BUT just a simple web search. I was on the phone with them daily! for hours! First, they talk to you like you don't know anything about internet or computers or technology, they are rude, unprofessional, disrespectful, etc. and when you stay firm in asking questions that need to be answered they refuse to answer them & simply hang up on you. I run not only speed test but detailed diagnostics on my internet connection daily during those months. Massive loss of pockets They've sent 4 (useless) technicians (contractors) to my house. I don't know how I was able to keep my cool but the last tech I had to tell to "please leave my house NOW! Get out!" They tried to blame everything on me, or the condominium complex where I live, they gave me different modems that wouldn't last, etc until I finally said I am filing FCC complaint then I was finally able to speak to some type of a plant-supervisor who listened to me and understood/agreed that pocket losses was coming from their damaged (street) node. 4 months of me saying this, 4 months of calling asking for help, telling them I have run all diagnostics, and I can provide proof in writing of all of this, 4 months of me trying to help them help me! Instead, I was disrespected, played like a ping-pong ball between different departments, laughed at and hanged up on. After that, they returned/credited my bill. 4 months of multiple calls on daily basis! 

NOW there is a new issue: DATA USAGE. My daily practices/habits of internet use haven't changed. Same all-same all...BUT since I got a NEW MODEM in April/May my data usage doubled June/July and July/Aug.. I've never received an email verification telling me that I used up 75% or more of my plan but I have received one today. Upon research and review through Cox App and Cox website I've noticed data usage information is given in bulk as totals. No specifics or details. You cannot go more than 3 months back in history and even with that, like I just mentioned before NO DETAILs/SPECIFICs only totals are given! I cannot see which device in my household used up "all this data" they claimed have been used. I live on my own, by myself and have total of 4 devices: PC, 2 TVs (living room and bedroom) and IPhone. So, I called today, spend over 3 hours on the phone with 4 different people in customer care and tech support and NONE OF THEM could tell me details or specifics. I asked them to open a ticket and investigate this issue, they said they are no able to. So, let me see if I got this right; COX want to charge us for potential overages, yet we cannot monitor our usage??? and representatives cannot tell me either?? How am I supposed to know where I stand? Corporate bulling, unethical and shady practices come to mind because their suggestion was "are you interested in our add-on data plans/unlimited plan for additional $$$?" and "call us back tomorrow and ask to speak to Internet CAG dept. they may be able to answer your questions" because you know, i have nothing better to do then spend the entire afternoon on the phone with Cox. Filing a complaint with FCC comes to mind again.  

Any of you experiencing issues with excessive data usage increase after you got the new cox- panoramic modem/router? 

And then one of the Cox reps will reply to my msg here and say something like "email us at coxhelp...bluh bluh...we need more info from you" even though I had to log into my cox account first to create this discussion and I had to verify my email too. I will call Cox CAG Dept tomorrow and see what they have to say, but just as they are recording our conversations, I will be doing that too. It will certainly help with FCC filings. 

Hoguelab
    New Contributor II

Check Cox page on Twitter for me.  We should chat.  @LoriHogue4

Nessa
      New Contributor II

Cox twitter page? Any particular link/thing that you are referring to? 

Hoguelab
        New Contributor II

I just saw your follow of me on Twitter.  Cox Communications has a Twitter profile.   I've been fairly active there the past few days since the data spike of 424 GB hit me last Sunday.  I sent you a follow request.  I think we need to put our minds together for the greater good!