Forum Discussion

Darkatt
Valued Contributor III
4 months ago
Solved

Data usage monitor

So I have started monitoring my data usage through my router, (Netgear RAXE300), and comparing it to Cox. The last week has been pretty much spot on, but I have just started the new monthly cycle, and my router is synced to that cycle now as well, so this month, I will not only be able to monitor day by day comparisons, but the month in totality as well to see they they match up. 

I used to work for Cox so I know that Cox has their system verified by a third party for data monitoring accuracy, but there are some people who doubt the voracity of that statement so I am doing a head to head comparison myself, and will let everyone know. 

BTW, I am at 500 down, and 50 up, here is a speed test on ethernet - https://www.speedtest.net/result/15756974312

on WiFi6

https://www.speedtest.net/result/15756986604

Darkatt
    3 months ago

Ok, bottom line, it's accurate. I have done all kinds of stuff, streaming, downloading, pinging, traceroutes, everything I can do to generate all kinds of traffic. the Netgear router and Cox Data in the Cox app, are withing 6 megs of each other, with my router actually showing more traffic than the cox system.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Do you think there could be a problem with the Cox gateway that is bloating bandwidth use? It seems all the people reporting spikes have the gateway.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

I really couldn't answer that, unless there is something about the gateway providing Cox WiFi that's being measured as data usage for the renter. I would THINK that it wouldn't but, sometimes things get wonky. 

All I can tell you is that currently, I am documenting as best I can, and verifying that the system is properly measuring data usage, at least for 3rd party equipment. 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

ok, update. So far, my router actually shows a higher data usage than the Cox system does. I don't know if possibly it monitors dns requests and Cox doesn't, or something like that, but I actually show through my router about 5gb more usage in total than Cox shows

Cox - 189 gb used from the 14th through today

Netgear RAXE-300 shows 194 GB data used. 5.323 up and 188.927 down. (been watching 4k netflix. lol). 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I always wondered how the Cox meter handles uncorrectables by the modem. Technically the packet is resent so it should bloat data on Cox's end. Also, I can't imagine DNS request taking that much data though I don't have a better idea what it could be. Thanks for the data.