Forum Discussion

Vtwin
New Contributor
7 years ago

Cannot send email via Outlook - Constantly asks for password to send

I have 5 email accounts I use for various segregated purposes. I use Microsoft Outlook with IMAP/SMTP to retrieve/send mail.

All my accounts are set up exactly the same way (with the exception of the username/password, obviously.) 3 pics below show my settings, which match what is indicated in the https://www.cox.com/residential/support/imap-server-settings.html document.

My problem: All accounts receive email. However, only 1 of my 5 accounts will *send* email (despite all having identical settings). The other 4, when they attempt to send, go into a repetitive loop prompting me to type in my password. If I retype my password, I'm simply prompted again to type in my password. And yes, I am using the correct password, obviously, because I receive my email fine. Pic 4 below shows what happens on one of those 4 accounts if I attempt to "Test" my settings in outlook - I end up in the same password prompt sequence.

The only way I can send/reply-to email on those 4 accounts is to use the webmail interface, which is a major PITFA.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? Anyone else experience similar problems? This has been going on for several weeks now. At first I thought it may be related to the new webmail interface, so I waiting for a while to see if the problem would go away (it hasn't.). I even tried logging to the support portal and changed the password on all my accounts to another password -- same problem.

22 Replies