Forum Discussion

CStones
New Contributor II
5 months ago

Blocking Port 21 for Residential Connection

I spoke with a rep who said COX can't block ports on their end, yet there are multiple articles about how they definitely block ports for everyone's protection.  I know COX is blocking my port 21, which yes, I know is not the most secure, but I use it securely enough for my extremely small business (1-person agency) out of my home office.  It worked fine, up until COX decided to start blocking it.  I know it's COX because I've dug through all of my router's and server's logs for hours and there is nothing about port 21 being blocked.  Moreover, I can reset the connection and it works from an outside source for a few seconds before being blocked again.  STOP BLOCKING MY PORTS!!

8 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      Darkatt wrote:

verify it's not blocked on the router. 

I think the best/easiest way to confirm that is to bypass the router and connect direct to the modem. Going through logs and/or websites to test isn't going to work all the time IMO.

CStones
      New Contributor II

I know you’re trying to help, but I don’t consider, “Pay $130 more for the same speed and convenience” to be a solution.  It worked for a week, until they figure out I was running a server and started blocking it.  Then the rep lied about even having that ability when multiple articles and reps in this forum confirm they do….NOT HAPPY.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III
        CStones wrote:

I use it securely enough for my extremely small business (1-person agency) out of my home office.

CStones wrote:

It worked for a week, until they figure out I was running a server and started blocking it.

Using a residential account to run a server for a business is a violation of your "Residential Customer Service Agreement".   Customer Service Agreement | Cox Communications

12.   USE OF SERVICES —

B.   Non Commercial Use Only:
        You agree to use the Services only for personal, noncommercial purposes and not business activities.

The Cox rep who told you they can't block ports may not personally have the ability to block ports, but the company does.  You can appeal to Cox to change their mind, but I don't like your chances.  Good luck.