Forum Discussion

laurim
New Contributor
2 months ago

At my wits end... Someone please help

Whew. I am very frustrated and would like someone to please just help me.

1. My internet would randomly drop from ~850Mb to 25Mb. It was always one or the other. If it dropped to the 25Mb occasionally restarting the modem would fix it temporarily. I contacted Cox about this and after lots of troubleshooting and misunderstandings (they kept asking which wifi band I was using and how my signal was... even after I repeated multiple times I was using direct ethernet connection to my modem...). Cox said the issue was likely my modem and I would have to replace it (my own personal modem). 

2. At Cox's recommendation, I purchased a new modem and installed it. I tried doing the "self-install" but cox.com/install and cox.com/activate just redirect to a landing page that says to go to that same URL so there was nothing I could do... So I contacted cox again and they said they would activate it for me. This took about 10 minutes.

3. With the new modem, I was still getting the same slow speeds so I contacted Cox again. They said they would send out a tech and I would be charged ($75 I think) if the issue was someone on my end of related to my equipment. The tech showed up and determined it was in fact the outside Cox lines that were the issue and he was able to replace them. He said I should not be charged. 

4. I switched back to my old modem so I could return the new one since that wasn't the problem (like Cox said) and had to go through the activate process again. I returned the modem and everything was working great. 

5. I just received my bill and it is 390 instead of the normal 90...

Pro Connect Charge Aug 5 $100.00
Cable Modem Purchase Aug 11 160.00

- I did not purchase any cable modem from Cox. 
- The only reason I bought a new retail modem and had to install it was because Cox said my old modem was the issue (which it wasn't). 
- The only reason I had to go through Cox chat to "activate" my new modem was because the cox self-install didn't work (just kept redirecting to the same loading page). 

6. I have tried calling multiple times but FOUR techs have now hung up on me before I even tell them anything about the issue. They ask for my name, phone, and pin then just hang up!

I got one tech (billing) to actually look into the issue and he explained the one-time-charges I have to talk with service and it's not related to billing... But apparently my monthly bill also went up from 90 to 120 (which just seems like adding insult to injury at this point). I told him at this point, I would like to just cancel my service because this entire experience has been so frustrating. He said he was going to look into discounts for me and asked if I could hold... then he ALSO hung up. I tried calling one more time and again got hung up on after just giving my pin and nothing more. 

At this point I have no clue where my account stands or who to contact since techs keep hanging up when they pull up my account.

TL;DR- Had internet issues. I did as Cox recommended. Now getting charged $300+ even though it was a Cox issue. Can't get anyone on the phone because they hang up instantly after verifying my account.

• laurim, The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox High Speed Internet, Video, or Phone services with other customers. If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, please feel free to reach us by phone or email at cox.help@cox.com

Cox Support Forums Moderator

laurim
      New Contributor

Considering I tried calling and kept getting hung up on (one lady told me Cox is using a new system today and that was likely why?...) and my "Oliver" chat tech has been unresponsive for over 2 hours after saying he would look into the issue, I wasn't sure where else to go. 

I contacted the email you provided and they eventually admitted that I was being charged for equipment and services that I did not purchase or authorize. They apologized for the "confusion" and are crediting my account.

Guess you can close this but the entire process has been extremely frustrating and seems very sketchy. I have completely wasted my Saturday trying to get this resolved. 

Sorry again for posting here, but considering I couldn't get ahold of anyone via phone or Oliver chat, I didn't see any other options (the only place I've seen the email you linked is here on the forums.)

RaquelD

Hello. We appreciate this feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that it took this measure to resolve your issues for the charges. If you need anything else,  you can reach us on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. Thank you.