Forum Discussion

JLeachEsq
New Contributor
2 years ago

Ads in Webmail

Am I  the only person who's disgruntled by the addition of advertising between messages on webmail? It is MOST aggravating and I can't seem to find anyone to whom I can express this. Cox has also begun adding ads at the top of the webmail inbox; fine, they're not intrusive so I don't care. The ads between reading emails is MOST intrusive and annoying. So much so that I don't bother to look at the ads (which conceivably defeats the purpose.) Very annoying.

34 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Ads in Webmail

Ads in Webmail are controlled by Cox and their vendor.  Your options are limited.  You can use an email client or block ads with your browser.  Site permissions can be set by clicking the small lock icon to the left of the address bar.  Select site permissions and verify that "Ads" is not set to "Allow".  Microsoft Edge is "Block (default)".  I've never allowed Ads with Microsoft Edge and I've never seen any ads in Webmail when using that browser.

For testing, I changed Google Chrome site permission to "Allow" ads.  Ads were then displayed in Webmail as expected.  I don't recall for certain that ads were blocked before the change, but I think they were.  However, ads remained after changing the permission setting back to "Block".

Spam

Blocking spam in Webmail can be accomplished by selecting "No Spam filtering" in settings

...and writing Filter Rules to discard unwanted email.  These posts explain how to block spam.

Filter rules vs blocked senders

Filter email using displayed name

Turn off email Forum notifications

Note: the default is "Apply rule if all conditions are met" 

But, you may select multiple values for the same conditiion.  The rule will run if the condition meets any one of the rule values for that condition.

The following rule will discard email received from either Person1@somedomain.com or from Person2@someotherdomain.com 

Contains:  Person2@someotherdomain.com

Action:     Discard

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

I did research to determine why I'm unable to block ads with Google Chrome.

• Deleted all Cox cookies.
      • Uninstalled Google Chrome.
      • Reinstalled Google Chrome (Version 107.0.5304.107).
      • Changed default browser to Google Chrome.
      • Verified the permission setting for Ads was Block (default).
      • Opened Webmail.

Results were inconclusive.  A new install of Google Chrome still didn't block Webmail Ads.  They appear at the top and right and, when sending email, over the reading pane.  But, this computer previously had Google Chrome installed and uninstalled.  Possibly something from the previous install is preventing ads from being blocked.

Another factor could be the registry edit I made to change policies for:

ChromeCleanupEnabled and ChromeReportingCleanupEnabled

That was done to prevent Google from periodically taking control of my computer.  It's unknown whether that could affect Chrome blocking ads.  However, given the choice between Webmail ads or Google using a significant amount of my computer processing whenever it runs a checkup, I'd prefer the ads.  My best choice was a different browser. 

If you use Google Chrome and see unwanted Webmail ads, use Microsoft Edge for Cox Webmail.  If you use Google Chrome and Webmail ads are blocked, let us know.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Use a mail client like Microsoft outlook, or opera mail.