Forum Discussion

Marykiara1
New Contributor
9 months ago

A tech came out…

A tech came out a month ago. Cox has no record of it. Weird.  He told me the wiring for my apartment is old and needs to be replaced. Said I’m not getting the speeds I’m paying for. Someone was supposed to contact me to schedule the replacing/fixing of this old wiring. Nothing. So I call/chat with them. They have no record of his visit.  They want to send another tech and tell me I’ll be charged for the visit. I wasn’t charged for the previous visit. I’m not paying for another tech and about to file law suit because I’m paying for a service that I’m not getting. 
Anyone have this issue??

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Cox will charge for tech visits unless an issue is found with their service or equipment.  That's everything up to and including the demarc.  If you're in need of re-wiring, you should consider subscribing to Cox Complete Care.  The $10 monthly fee (3-month minimum) would be cheaper than the cost of re-wiring.  I believe CCC covers the cost of internal wiring.  "Repair and replacement of inside cable coax/telephone wire damaged by normal wear-and-tear and animal chews."  You should probably confirm that before having the work done.  Years ago, I paid $60 to replace the cable from the demarc into my house to upgrade for DVR service because I didn't know about CCC (or it may not have been an option then).  Cox Complete Care

Marykiara1
      New Contributor

I shouldn’t have to pay for any rewiring. This is an apartment complex   

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I remember when CCC was called CSAP(Cox Service Assurance Plan) and there was a campaign code for the first month to be free and there was no minimum(at least that I was told). I wonder if there is anything like that with CCC.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

All I know is what I read here and on Cox websites.  I know it's $10 per month (unless you can get it waived) and I read somewhere that there's a 3-month minimum or the cost of the tech visit will be applied.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Is your wiring old? It needs to be quad shield RG6. You can see the type of wire printed on the sheath. My guess is the first technician was a maintenance technician scanning for ingress and detected it from your house. How does the coaxial get from the street to the room the modem is in? Any splitters or amps? If so how many and what kind? Last, how are you not getting your service? What speed and did you test on ethernet?

Marykiara1
      New Contributor

I have no idea as this is an apartment complex. The tech said the wiring is old and bad and I’m not getting the speeds I’m paying for. He said a different team has to come out to repair. The is the last I heard and Cox says they have no record of the visit. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I wonder who this "different team" is. Was he a contractor or a real Cox technician? Usually wiring past the demarc is up to the customer to fix so you will have to do some research. When I lived in a complex they had railing along the ceiling for the wires in the hallway to each apartment and Cox took care of them. If they are inside the walls, it may be up to the apartment maintenance team or a electrician to fix it. Who installed them in the first place? If you don't know I would ask the property manager.