Forum Discussion

diarmid
New Contributor
31 days ago

Cox email switch to Yahoo disaster

I have spent the entire morning, plus 3 phone calls, re "EMAIL transition".  I have Outlook Cox email needing transition to Yahoo.  Online discussions/Reddit, etc. states Yahoo does not accept Outlook transition. I also see some customers after much time/effort were able to do this.  Customer service could not complete transition to Yahoo from Outlook (rep did try with no success), but suggested for $10 mo for Cox Help they could help me.  This is the LAST STRAW....I have been a customer of Cox for 30 years with many ups/downs.....however, this EMAIL TRANSITION  is a disaster.  I can now only access my email thru the Cox email web; Outlook email does not work at all.  I will be changing all services including internet, cable, phone, email @ $235 monthly bill ASAP.

14 Replies

• I agree; this could have been handled in a much better fashion. The transition to Yahoo makes you think you either have to upgrade to their paid version or pay for technical support. 

I use Thunderbird for my email client. I followed these instructions to perform the changeover:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/password-sln15241.html

This is in addition to changing the settings for POP, IMAP and SMTP in your email client.

As an aside, I pay for Microsoft Office 365 (yearly subscription). With the subscription, you can sign up for outlook.com email addresses. I set up a few accounts for my most critical emails. 

Armyeso1
    New Contributor

I was able to get my Outlook to work, but once I transitioned all my old Outlook email folders were erased. Lost all my old cox emails that I was saving in those folders. Not sure if there is a way to get them back.

MMc
      New Contributor II

Did you follow their IMAP instructions?  I cannot get those settings to work for me. 

MMc
        New Contributor II

As a follow up I was finally successful in setting up my Desktop Outlook.

MMc
    New Contributor II

I agree with the poor experience in the email transition.  I was also unsuccessful in setting up Outlook to reflect the change.  The online instructions do not work, you can only get a ChatBot vs. a real person if you try the online help Yahoo provides, and they indicate phone assistance is only available for a fee.  I also can not send email from my iPhone.  I followed their instructions for adding the account and can receive emails but get an error message trying to reply to them or create and send something new.  I have burned through a lot of time trying to get things to work, and it seems like they did not do a good job in pre-testing the move or devoting any resources to assist with the cutover.  Feel like I've been left out in the cold.

diarmid
      New Contributor

Absolutely, no direct info or assistance, except when they bill!  No solutions.  I have spent endless time to no avail...after 30 years, this was the final straw.  Cox makes huge profits, but implementation of a huge program is cheap with no accountability.

davehnova
        New Contributor

I totally agree. Cox is gaslighting their subscribers. I have been with them for three decades. I am going to change my plan with them to a lower-cost one next week. Corporate greed at its best. 

• Hello. I apologize that you are experiencing trouble getting your 3rd party app to work with your email. If you have already been notified by Cox that your email has transitioned, this Cox website provides information on the server settings needed to be updated based on your devices. https://www.cox.com/residential/support/access-and-log-in-to-yahoo-mail-after-transition.html.  This website provides even more information: https://www.cox.com/residential/support/coxnet-email-transitioning-to-yahoo.html?campcode=link-learnmore-FAQ-res-srch-email-move-to-yahoo. There are links throughout both articles to assist.  If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com

JeffN
      New Contributor

I also received a 403 error with the first link in RaquelD's response.

MMc
      New Contributor II

i received a 403 error message trying to follow your first link for support.