Forum Discussion

Toml66
New Contributor II
11 months ago
Solved

HSC tuning adapter available?

I saw in a Tivo specific forum that some people in the San Diego received a new HSC Tuning Adapter from Vecima and according to them, it seems to have fixed the issue of the the Cisco Tuning Adapter constantly rebooting.  Are there any plans to start rolling these out to the Phoenix market?  I have had to have my tuning adapter disconnected for over a year now because of the constant rebooting and cancelling my recordings.  It would be very nice to be able to actually receive all the channels I have been paying for over a year and not receiving.  I know the local Cox techs, like the one that came out to my house for this issue, claim no one else is having reboot issues but me and ton of others in a Tivo specific forum beg to differ. 

DesertRat919
    8 months ago

FINAL UPDATE: All of the new Vecima TAs were activated to my account out of the box. Swap was so easy and only took a few minutes for each device. There is no longer a need to split the coax with each leg connecting to the TA and TiVo respectively. Yay! Two less things to worry about. Powered up the TAs, blinked three or four minutes and then solid blue light. All channels come in with strong signal and have not had a single problem in a little over a week. RF is working well. I don’t know why but Cox wants the old Ciscos back so I will drop them off at the nearest retail store tomorrow and make sure they are removed from my account.

22 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

I'm in Phoenix, AZ

I received a phone call from the SWR Cox Executive Resolutions and spoke with Julian. Cox is coming out Saturday to replace my 3 Tuning Adapters with the new ones. He did not know when the new TA's would be available to the general customers. He said I got the last 3 available.  He thought they should be available in the next few months, he didn't think they were the Vesima ones, and said they were coded In-House by Cox. We'll see.

I'll post more when I get them.

bryaninphx
      Valued Contributor

The New Tuning Adapters are the Vesima ones, just like the Spectrum ones.
      These TAs do get very hot, I had two stacked on each other and burned my fingers. Good ventilation is needed.

I was told that the RF pass-though would not work, and I would need splitters. However, I installed them using the RF pass-though and they work fine, (I don't use MoCA). They boot-up very fast, in just a minute or two.

HW Version: 1.0
      Firmware Version: 1.0.8 (this is the third firmware update since they started installing them)

I did get the last 3 TA's available in Phoenix, and they don't know when they will be available to the general public.

bryaninphx
      Valued Contributor

The TAs rebooted overnight and installed new firmware:

Firmware Version: 1.7.0

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      I received a phone call from the SWR Cox Executive Resolutions and spoke with Julian

So they are making calls to CC users? You didn't have to contact them? I wouldn't have expected that.

bryaninphx
        Valued Contributor

Cox contacted me proactively, he said it was due to my activity in reporting on this forum and my previous work with both TiVo and Cox in the past. I first received a call from Cox in January 2023 about swapping my TAs, but I was not interested in doing any beta testing, so I never called them back. They reached out again and said testing was over, so I decided to swap them out.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

This is the first time I have heard it called by it's actual name. Thank you for that. There is this thread mentioning them but I don't know where OP lives and they didn't respond for comment. I would try emailing cox.help@cox.com and asking. Be sure to share the update with the forum please.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I read up on the TA by that name and found the model number is HSC-1-H. HSC stands for High-Split Converter and is apparently much larger then the old TA. There is some pictures of it if you google that model number. I tried to download them but the format is wrong/broken for this forum. Also, not sure why it is called High-Split when AFAIK Cox is converting to a mid-split format. However, I am not a expert on the subject. 

Desert_Rat
        New Contributor III

I am in the Phoenix market and received two of the HSC tuning adapters for a test around the beginning of the year.  It has solved the issue of the rebooting and loss of programs/programming.

It is actually smaller than the Cisco version.  If you are having difficulties in getting answers, I would recommend talking to the Cox executive team.  A lot of information available is not always passed down to the field techs until they until all the "kinks" are worked out and it is ready for general information.  

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Has anyone else with the new HSC tuning adapter noticed a change to the EAS broadcast?

It used to be a silent scrolling message at the top of the screen that did not get recorded.

Since getting the HSC adapter,  I now have the old DOS style, screeching EAS screen that does get recorded into all active tuners.

Toml66
    New Contributor II

Hopefully I will get a call in the near future since I have had Cox out more than once to fix the tuning adapter reboot.  I have a feeling they are going to make me beg for it

DesertRat919
      New Contributor II

First, I am a long time lurker. Never bothered to post because any questions I had about local service/problems mostly have been answered here by people much smarter than me. Thanks for that. I live in the North Phoenix area.

Second, I too am a long time (22 Yrs.) Tivo user. I did not know if I should start a new thread or just piggyback on to one of the many tuning adapter related ones. If this warrants a new thread hopefully one of the mods will move it.

I have five Bolts. Every month or two I have had to power cycle the TA's which generally worked. Irritating but livable - until just over a year ago. It has been a nightmare.

We routinely test the coax (Cat 6) and splitters when there is a problem including the street box to house, the long run from the POE to the main drop, all splits from the main drop to the various rooms, the barrel wall connectors and cable runs from the wall to the splitter and the cable from the splitter to the TiVo and TA. Coax is replaced when necessary. 

Now for the past two weeks on one TA and about four months for another TA nothing has worked. Cox Cable has had one foot out the door for the last few years. They now have one foot and several toes out the door. We have changed out TAs repeatedly. Today, after the routine cable testing Mr Rat tested two of the TAs. They both had shorts. TAs were taken back to Cox retail store where they were given one last chance. Give us a device that worked properly or terminate the 25 yr long service. The person we spoke to claimed to be a tech and said he hated working on TAs. He also said they did not have any replacements in stock and handed us a business card, told us to call and replacements would be mailed to us. OK.

Called the number on the card, asked for replacement units. Call was transferred three times and finally spoke to a nice lady who said her name was Mary. Turns out the phone number is to the local corporate HQ (Deer Valley). She said that rather than send us Cisco units, she would be sending us the new units (rollout is allegedly August) that replace the old Ciscos. She also said with the new Cox system we cannot have two new units with three old units so she was sending us five of the new TAs. Since we have nothing but black screens to watch she would send expedited UPS delivery for tomorrow or Thurs. There is also an app to download to assist with setting things up and Tivo will have to be going through the new installation including the evil Guided Setup (anyone remember the dreaded 86%?) Also the entire Cox billing system is new. With the newer devices, our service level will not change and our monthly bill will be reduced. Why I do not know.  She also never mentioned the name of the manufacturer or model for the new boxes. I will not know what I am going to receive from Cox until I receive it, but if the very nice Mary was speaking truthfully, it would appear others with endless TA problems may also be candidates for the new units. Mary mentioned she did not know and the system is very new and she was still learning it. 

I will let you know what I receive and, if possible, when everyone else can get the new devices.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyone who stayed awake long enough to slog through all of the above should treat themselves to a cool, refreshing adult beverage...

DesertRat919
        New Contributor II

UPDATE: My new bestie Mary came through like she said she would. Received five new Vecima HSC-1-H HW Rev1.0 mfr Humax 02/23.

Since I received all of them, I believe they have a reasonable supply in stock. I would suggest that anyone needing the new devices should avoid the retail stores. They can't answer your questions.. Call your local area Corp HQ instead. Mine is Deer Valley but yours may be different. Your call may be transferred a couple of times, but try to keep your frustrations in check and most importantly, be nice and they will be more helpful. I don't think replacements will be automatic. You need to make the call.

For those who have the Vecimas and successfully completed setup, have any helpful tips to share?

Also, I received a text from Cox about downloading an app prior to setup. Is this a necessary step or I can avoid it? I won't be working on them until late tomorrow or maybe Fri.