Forum Discussion

Walkingdeadjunk
New Contributor III
11 months ago

HBO Max

If I currently have hbo/hbo max as part of my Cox cable package is the price going to change when it changes to Max? On the HBO FAQ it says if you have HBO Max through your cable subscription to “check with your provider.”

16 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

The only potential increase I can see is if you want to stream UHD content.  The new Max platform will have an Ad-Lite plan ($10), Ad-Free ($16) and Ultimate ($20).  Only the Ultimate plan will have any UHD content.

You're probably currently paying $15.99 like me but if you want the Ad-Lite or Ultimate, you'll have to contact Cox.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

FYI, some providers like FIOS are including the Ultimate plan for the first 6 months. Any word on if Cox will do the same?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I wouldn't call it a provider's offering but instead WB's transition from HBO Max to Max.  According to CNET, "Warner Bros. Discovery has said some features...like 4K...will still be available on current subscription plans for six months as the app transitions to Max."

I don't think HBO really had much in the 4K content.  I don't know.  I don't steam movies.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

This is a forum for customers to assist other customers with technical issues. You would need to contact Cox for that information. 

Dave_Mc
    New Contributor II

Today (5/23) is the big changeover to "MAX" and I have now lost the ability to connect to MAX. Connecting to the old HBO Max on my Roku device brings up a page telling me I need to upgrade, but no instructions on how to do so. I attempted to install the "new" Max App, but opening that simply takes me right back to the same page telling me I need to upgrade. When I try to log in through the web site, it returns a message that MAX does not support Cox. I had an extended Chat with Cox and the support tech said he couldn't understand why I can't connect and he was escalating my support request and I should hear back in a few days. The only reason I subscribe to HBO is for the HBO Max streaming app on my Roku device. If Cox no longer supports Max, I will cancel my HBO subscription.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Probably a needless input, but Max requires Roku OS 11 or later.

bluestar
      New Contributor

I also had to go through the "sign-in" procedure.  I used the "provider" route and input the on-screen code at the site indicated on the screen.  Once I input Cox as the provider, Max worked fine on both Roku boxes.

Dave_Mc
        New Contributor II

Thanks for your input. After all the problems yesterday (5/23), I tried it again this morning and everything seems to all OK today. I was able to log in using my Cox account and I successfully updated the "Max"  app on my Roku TV. A little back and forth between the TV and my computer (you have to re-register the updated App with Max), but all took only about a minute. The new "Max" interface is a bit different from the old "HBO Max" interface, but the new interface did keep all of "My List".

ChrisJ2
      Hi, Dave Mc. I'm so sorry that happened to you and I want to help. On your Roku, go to Settings and manually do a System Update. Then, retry the HBOmax app and it should update for you. I hope this helps. -ChrisJ - Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Dave_Mc
        New Contributor II

Again, thanks to everyone for the assistance. Earlier this morning, I again attempted to get Max set up and they seem to have gotten the bugs out of their system(s). The Max web page now runs error free and I was able to log in using my Cox credentials (couldn't do that yesterday). Having successfully logged in, I was able to get the Max app updated and running on my Roku. So all seems well. Again, thanks for your input.