Forum Discussion

JakeMac
New Contributor
4 years ago

HBO MAX

I was just told by customer support that HBO MAX is not/will not be available on my tv.

So why am I paying for HBO? 

11 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

HBO is a cable-TV network.

However, with the exponential glut of dissatisfied cable-TV subscribers, more and more people are "cutting-the-cord" for Internet streaming; therefore, more and more media companies (HBO) are offering streaming services.

HBO Max is an Internet streaming service.  If you subscribe to cable-TV, you get 7 HBO channels as well as HBO on-demand.  If you're a cord-cutter, you get HBO Max.

What makes it confusing is HBO labels its TV channel...at least its on-demand menu...as "HBO | HBO Max."  You get HBO...just not HBO Max with its licensing to offer sitcoms and stuff from the other media companies.

JakeMac
      New Contributor

I pay for cable because it's easy and efficient. But I also pay for Netflix, Prime and Acorn to watch certain shows. Cox does not offer a cafeteria menu it's all or nothing. Frustrating and getting too expensive. Thanks for reply.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III
        Frustrating and getting too expensive

This is the genesis of cord-cutting/slimming.

It may be worth researching which streaming services have your favorite live channels (news, weather, sports) and be done with it.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Samsung is currently the only TV compatible for Max, so it's Samsung TV sets before 2016.

Ain't matter no how because either a Firestick or Roku would be cheaper.

bearone2
        Contributor III

thanks, i wasn't aware of samsung being the only one capable, mine are older samsungs!

true but more limited.