Forum Discussion

coxprblms
New Contributor III
2 years ago

Broke my DVR then charged me $200 for 2 technicians to come out

An update was pushed to my DVR a couple of weeks ago. I was watching tv at the time. After the update the DVR kept rebooting and rebooting. I had to power cycle it to get it to come back online. I call cox support. They send a technician out to look at it. As he's investigating the issues he says another technician is coming to lend a hand. They see the "boot" word on the front of the DVR and says they've replaced 3 already that day. He recommends he replace it. I just got my bill and it has a $200 one time charge on it. I just started a chat with cox and the agent says it was a one time technician charge.... $100 for each technician.

This is unreal. Break customers hardware then charge them for multiple techs to come out to fix it??

Has anyone else had this issue?

3 Replies

• Hi Coxprblms,

I am sorry to hear that you have not yet received a response to your email. Please check the address you are sending to: cox.help@cox.com

You may also reach out to us through Twitter, @coxhelp, or Facebook.

Thank you,

Mike J.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      coxprblms
      New Contributor III

Got it corrected.

You sent an update to my DVR which cratered it (was this on purpose?). You said you'd send a tech out to look at it. He said he'd replace it and it wouldn't cost me anything.

Another cox tech showed up (odd why does it take 2 techs to replace a DVR) and insisted multiple times that I have my cox modem replaced because it was old and you were proactiivy replacing them. I insisted multiple times there was nothing wrong with my modem / internet. He eventually replaced it at "no cost"

As it turns out you charged me $100 for the tech to connect my cable box and $100 for the tech to connect my modem.

I sent multiple emails to the address you listed above with no response. I called tonight and eventually the person at cox said he was going to transfer me to a manager and hung up on me. I called again and someone was able to reverse the charges..

This is a "negative option billing" scam where you bill people for products / services they don't request or need. Comcast lost a class action lawsuit about it.

Stay classy cox.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Coxprblms

Glad the hear it has been corrected. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator