Forum Discussion

tonguetwister
New Contributor III
9 years ago

HDMI to component cable converter question for Contour mini box

My household has a Panasonic plasma TV manufactured in 2008. Some time ago a surge took out and presumably permanently disabled both of its' HDMI jacks. Ever since this incident we've had to resort to using RCA-type component cables for both audio and video, producing a picture quality darned close to HD. We have since went back to Cox, but the provided mini Contour box only comes with either HDMI or coax outputs. Since the HDMI option was out of the question which left the coax as the default connection, which was how the install tech set it up. As a result this TV can't produce any better than 480 resolution. 

I've been searching the internet for an HDMI-to-component workaround and have narrowed the choice down to a few models. The proposed converter setup will only be used from the Cox mini box to the TV; there will be no other devices such as a DVD, BluRay, game or streaming media player connected. 

What I'd like to know is what experiences other Cox users have had with a similar arrangement, and whether they or Cox tech people in this forum would share any qualifications, reservations or any advice.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

There is no such thing as a "mini Contour box."  You either have a Cox Mini Box or a Contour (2) Box.  You can identify your box here:  http://www.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=f6644920-8b56-11df-6baf-000000000000

I think you have a Cox Mini Box.  If you want a set-top box with HD Component Connections, you'll need to exchange it at a Cox Service Center.

If you're satisfied with your current Starter and Essential channels, ask for a HD Receiver with HD Component Connections.

Your new rental few will increase.

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

I do not wish to use a different Cox box. As mentioned in my original post, the TV we have has HDMI connections which do not function. The install tech took the only option he had and used coax out of the Mini Box into the TV, the results of which are recognizable but DEFintely not HD picture quality.  What I am inquiring about is for users and or Cox personnel to share their experiences in the use of HDMI-to-component cable converters with Cox-supplied STBs (hope that was the correct term).

As for my mistakenly using the name "Contour", my mistake. Pardon my naiveté. Let this be a reminder that in the future I use only the most precise, accurate nomenclature.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm reading sarcasm in your post.  A "mini Contour box" could be interpreted as a Mini Box, the smallest Contour Box or you just don't know.  If you're asking for technical help with digital signals, it's important for us to know your equipment.

Also, you're assuming there's an adequate group of users willing to pay for HD on an SD setup.  I'm sure there is an adequate group but they're not active on technical forums.  However, they'd recommend RCA.  If RCA isn't an option, they're using coax.  Out of that, I don't believe many people are tweaking an already-demodulated signal from a coax cable.

The better picture could have been attributed to the RCA cables or whatever device was decoding your signal (Panasonic or STB).  Not all boxes are created equally...and you're now using the cheapest one.

I don't feel adding another connection between your STB and TV will improve your SD picture.  However, if you're researching HDMI-to-Component solutions, you'll need to rely on the reviews of those products for advice, such as Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, etc.

To be clear, an HDMI-to-Component solution is basically a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC).  That's a device you cannot choose by price.  It's a device you choose by reputation.  The results are either detailed and engaging...or downright worst than your current setup.  Some are just scams because they're targeting people who couldn't tell the difference and are overhyped by fake user reviews.

Advice:
     - Reset your TV to its default factory-settings because the surge may have just deactivated the HDMI ports.
     - If you have an A/V receiver with RCA outs, connect that between your STB and TV.
     - Ensure your coax is RG-6.

Depending on Price:
     - If you've ever wanted an A/V receiver (new or used), look for one with both HDMI and RCA in/out ports.
     - Get your Panasonic repaired.
     - Buy a new HDTV.
     - Read the DAC reviews cynically!

AllenP
    Valued Contributor

@tonguetwister, I have to agree with Bruce on one issue, and one issue only ... I doubt anyone active in this forum would be using an hdmi to component converter with a minibox.  I could be wrong but it's kind of a special situation and this forum doesn't have a huge active membership.

Bruce, I really don't understand most of your last response. 

"... pay for HD on an SD setup": the OP didn't say anything about SD, asked about  conversion to component which supports full 1080 HD.

RCA is a type of connector, both composite (SD) and component (HD) use RCA plugs.  "they'd recommend RCA" is a meaningless statement.  As is "If RCA isn't an option, they're using coax." that's an SD solution and the OP is looking for HD.

"The better picture could have been attributed to the RCA cables or whatever device was decoding your signal" the better picture is due to component (yes using RCA plugs) is full 1080 HD, not SD.  I was using component cables, with their RCA plugs, for a few years before hdmi was available, no problem getting full HD with them.

Finally, tonguetwister, if you can't get your tv's hdmi ports working, repair may not be cost effective, and you don't want to splurge for a new TV, I agree with Bruce, check the reviews in reputable sites and make sure you can return it if not happy.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Thanks for pointing out areas of confusion.

First, I don't know what's going on with his HDTV.  It got fried and only works with either component or coax.  Using component, the display was "darned close to HD."  I don't know what that means.  It's either HD or not.  I assumed it was still HD capable until that descriptor.  Maybe it is HD with less detail, or maybe Auto-Zoom is enabled to fill the screen.  Therefore, he's asking people in a "similar arrangement" for advice.  I don't believe there are a lot of people paying for HD on an SD setup.

Yes, RCA is the physical construction of the plug.  I only use RCA to imply analog video signals (component or composite).  It's often used as slang with A/V connections.  5-RCA:  audio and video to the TV.  3-RCA:  video only to the TV.  Twister used it, he knows what it is...and I didn't feel like typing "component" so often.  If you"re still using composite, I"m sorry for the confusion and should have qualified "RCA" as slang for component.

AllenP
    Valued Contributor

Sorry Bruce, I've never seen RCA used as slang for component.  So many different types of cable use RCA plugs, component, composite, audio line input/output, LFE channel output, just to name a few.  Googling 5-RCA, most results come back qualified as "5 RCA component cables" or such.  If it's common slang, sorry.

Also, no, I don't use composite video any more, I don't even still use component.  Everything here is HD and uses HDMI ... love my DTS-HD Master Audio and that only available via HDMI.  The reason I brought up composite is because of your references to the OP using SD, "people paying for HD on an SD setup". The use of SD implies composite to me, not component.  Again, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Cheers...