Forum Discussion

CuriousJ
Contributor
5 months ago
Solved

Netgear modem/router combo questions

Netgear Nighthawk C78000 to be specific. Purchased June 2021 and suddenly won’t keep a steady internet connection. It keeps cutting in and out. Unplugging sometimes helps but not always. Cox says everything looks good on their end and is blaming the Netgear. I do have a Cox-installed splitter that I’m unable to disconnect and they think it could also be a splitter problem. Tech coming out tomorrow. In the event that the splitter is not the problem, any recommendations? Is it normal for a Netgear to only last 2.5 years? What does a splitter even do? If I’m forced to buy new equipment what Cox-compatible combo units are recommended? A lot of questions, so thanks in advance!

CuriousJ
    5 months ago

I appreciate your help. The tech advised that a malfunctioning amplifier was causing the problem. It was removed, along with the splitter, we tested all Cox boxes (my Cable TV was out as well) and everything seems to be working. Fingers crossed I won’t need new equipment for a while at least. Thanks again. 

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello CuriousJ, 

I am glad to hear that you have a service call set up to look into the internet trouble that you have been experiencing. I can imagine how challenging it would be for the internet to go in and out. Truthfully, Gateways can be bad coming straight from the manufacturer. That is why there is normally a 1-2 year warranty. But this is not typical at all. The splitter is used when you have multiple devices that need to connect to the coaxial outlet, but you do not have enough outlets for your equipment or they are located too far away. Basically, it allows 2 or more devices to connect to one coaxial outlet. They can degrade signal and this is why it is typical in troubleshooting to ask that it is bypassed. If you are renting a gateway from us, we can replace it at no cost. If you are looking to purchase a new one, you can see compatible modems using this link. https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html You would want to ensure that the modem listed is compatible with your current level of service. I actually recommend at least one tier higher unless you are already on the highest internet plan. This is because since I started working for Cox over 16 years ago,  we have increased internet speeds numerous times. If you got one today that is compatible with your current speeds, it may not be compatible anymore if we do increase speeds again soon. I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance. 

CuriousJ
      Contributor

Thanks for attaching the instruction link, I would not have had a clue!

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

You figured out how to attach a picture which is good, but it's the wrong screenshot. The instructions say Basic > Cable Connection. You are on the advanced tab.