Forum Discussion

Katie
New Contributor
12 years ago

Internet Connection Issues due to recent McAfee update.

Attention Cox High Speed Internet Customers:

A recent McAffee-issued software upgrade is causing some Cox customers to lose their internet connectivity. McAfee has since corrected the corrupt file, but you problems may persist. Refer to the following Cox Support Alert to correct the issue.

Alert: High Speed Internet Connection Issues

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    vsphnx
    New Contributor

I have uninstalled McAffee software and was instructed by Cox to download the new McAfee software from this support portal website.  I did and now I have internet problems.  My internet is freezing and I have not been able to use internt for the past 3 days!!!  I do not want McAfee on my computer and would never use them again. Since this problem ocurred, I have been in touch with Cox customer tech service several times and they keep referring me to McAffee to solve this problem.  I don't underst

azhot
    New Contributor

seems like all these past messages are related.  i've been having all the same problems.  since cox didn't send out a warning about the McAfee flap, i spent $200 on support service from Sony.  they worked on my computer online for 12 hours and i still have disconnect issues, no connection because there's a break in my network, etc.  They uninstalled McAfee and it was working for about 16 hours until I reinstalled McAfee tonight and again have connection problems although we are told the problem was fixed.  I'm sitting here thinking my router isn't working all of a sudden, my modem was old so figured that best to buy a new one rather than try & figure it out and that didn't fix the problem.  So maybe it isn't my stupidity after all.  I had a good working system and then on or about August 14 I suddenly had no system although I agree with everyone I had been losing connection and "resetting my adapter" every day for a long time now.

kat
    New Contributor

I AM GOING THROUGH THIS SAME ***  A tech was in my home last night and said that he had never seen anything like it. The internet wireless is working but my system is not connecting and the IP address is showing up wrong or funky.  The problems did begin with the McAfee issue but once I uninstalled when notified because i called and heard the message. I was able to get back onto the net and downloaded the McAfee again. It worked for a week or so and then it was down again last Wednesday.  On that day, there was a message on my answering machine from COX saying that they were working on connectivity issues and that I may experience outages when they were working on it from 1 am to 5 am. I figured it was related even though the times were off.  I left on a trip and returned Sunday to no internet still. Started the *** at that point.  45 to 1 hour hold times, only to have the tech do the same things with same lack of results and escalation to another tech and then finally one to my home and now they have sent me to McAfee and their tech had to escalate the issue to a supervisor who is calling me in two days.  All the while I am down. I think that I am not alone but Cox is not communicating the issue to us or the techs. Perhaps they do not want to take responsibility and have to refund our fees. Then i get my bill today and note that my rate has jumped 14% in the last two months with no explanation. 

They will continue to get away with this kind of behavior as long as we allow it. the lack of real competition in the cable monopoly is holding us hostage.  I am livid!