Forum Discussion

Seer
New Contributor
11 years ago

Cannot access router

I have  tried to leave the login blank to get into the Cisco Gateway and I cannot.  I would like to see why my internet is going down again like with the Netgear I exchanged to get the Cisco. 

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

I assume you have the DPC3825?

Someone must have changed the password from the default. Who set the Cisco up? Do you have any paper work with the network name and password on it from that time? If not, then you will have to factory default the gateway and reconfigure the entire network. I would only suggest doing this if you have done it before.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

No, I promise you it didnt come that way. If your saying Cox installed it then the technician must have changed it during install. He didn't leave you any paper work with your wireless password and stuff? 

If you don't know the password, the only way to gain access to the router (I'm excluding security exploits) is to factory reset it. This resets the password back to <blank> <blank>, like it was before. However this also resets EVERYTHING as if the router just came out of the box, so you would have to go into the router and recreate the network name and password and anything else you have configured. Sorry, wish there was a better answer.  

Seer
    New Contributor

I picked it up at a local cox store.  This is going to really *** but I know how to do all the security though just concerned there are some cox proprietary settings

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Nope. As long as the WAN setting is set to DHCP, that's all that Cox cares about, and thats the default setting, so you should be good. If you cant get online after the factory reset via wired, you may need to power cycle the unit with the reset button.

Come to think of it, that gateway has it's default wireless settings on a sticker, so as long as your happy with those settings, you shouldn't need to do much after the factory reset. 

::Edit:: Didn't notice this in the manual. Seems the factory reset button is also the reset button.

"RESET—A momentary pressing (1-2 seconds) of this switch reboots the EMTA. Pressing the switch for more than ten seconds first causes a reset-to-factory-default of all settings and then reboots the gateway"