Read the forum guidelines
I would sure appreciate some guidance here. I try to keep up but I can get over my head pretty quickly so please bear with me. My problem is that, for well over a year, I have been paying Cox for Gigabit internet and Complete Care, but my system performance never really got close to that. It has gotten progressively worse and now it is almost unusable from my wireless devices. The ethernet connected desktop is usable but only tests at about 250mbps.
The symptoms are that pages can take 15 seconds to load and sometimes not at all and when streaming I get some minor buffering. The wife and I are retired and stream tv in the evenings but other than that it’s pretty much just checking email and Facebook. These problems occur on our Chromebooks, laptops, and iPads.
I use Cox only for internet. My modem is now an Arris SB8200. My Wi-Fi is Google Mesh with five pucks to cover our house which is under 1900 sq ft. My desktop is a Lenovo connected to the Google Mesh via ethernet. Speed test results (speedtest.net) are pretty consistent:
Last week I finally called Cox Complete Care. I had to run through the story with four different agents. Each time I had to start from the beginning and comply with their instructions as they worked through their obligatory scripts. A warm transfer sure would have been nice. In the end they agreed to send out a tech. The tech was out the next day and did the following:
Following his visit I read through several forums and decided to replace my Motorola MB 8600 with the Arris SB 8200. I had been seeing huge numbers of corrected and uncorrectable errors on a few channels and thought it was worth a shot. The Arris has provided the same results as the Motorola. I’ve also noticed that the SB8200 front panel lights indicate that both up and down are blue, I believe indicating that the connection is not allowing connection to DOCSIS 3.1. The event log was also showing a lot of Dynamic Range Window Violations but I performed a hard reset on the modem this morning so most were wiped away. I’ve attached a file containing the Connection Status which I just took. It too was wiped clean with the hard reset this morning but maybe something will give a clue.
Thanks in advance for any help you might have!!!
The status listed show the connection state of the cable modem. They are used by your service provider to evaluate the operation of the cable modem.
Current System Time: Mon Mar 6 15:01:22 2023
FYI, if you want an ACCURATE Speedtest, test with a computer connected direct to the 8200, using a cat5e or cat 6 cable for a 1000baseTX connection, and run the speedtest. If that looks good, you have no further than the wifi to look at. BTW, I am on preferred, 250 mbps internet and using a single DG2460 downstairs, and a TPLING powerline adapter to the upstairs WiFi mesh, and my average internet speed is easily 250 on ethernet, and faster, while WiFi is 237 of 5ghz and 220 on 2.4 ghz on most of my equipment. The SLOWEST I get is 80 mbps on 2.4 on my upstairs TV, which is on a room across the hall from the mesh powerline adapter, with both doors closed.
Thanks much. The speeds I cited as being ~250mbps was with the PC connected directly to the modem.