Forum Discussion

USMA56795
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Internet disconnects for 10-15 seconds several times an hour.

I'm using an Arris SB8200.  For the past week or so, the Internet cuts out for 10-15 seconds several times an hour.  I've run a recurring ping and it shows it dropping on the first hop from my router.  It's not a Wi-Fi issue--I'm on Ethernet--and it impacts multiple devices.  I've power-cycled my cable modem, factory reset it, etc. but still have this issue.

• I would schedule a technician. It might actually take a couple technicians to track down the problem. If it's related to the upstream OFDM channel, that is a very new problem so most Cox employees don't know about it yet. I suggest emailing Cox cox.help@cox.com with your account info and a link to this thread.

30 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      USMA56795
      New Contributor

I can't login to my cable modem.  I can factory reset it, but when I login with the default username and password it brings me to a "change password" page.  When I change the password, it returns an error that says "Device failed to update password."

My guess--and it's just a guess--is that Cox flashes the firmware via the coax when I first plugged it in, and did so in a way that prevents subsequent password changes.  But without that, there's no way for me to login to the admin console.

Edit: That's interesting.  Having multiple numeric characters apparently doesn't work.  I figured out a combination of characters and one numeric character that does.  Let me look through the logs...

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Don't post the logs without removing the modem MAC address from it.

USMA56795
      New Contributor

Downstream QAM256 are between 8.1dBmV and 15.8dBmV with SNR/MER at 40.7 to 41.4 dB.
      Upstream SC-QAM are at 36.0 dBmV.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

If your internet disconnects for 10-15 seconds, it sounds like WiFi interference. If the modem actually went offline, it would take much longer for it to re-sync. What router are you using, WiFi modem/Pano, or your own?

USMA56795
      New Contributor

I'm on Ethernet.  It's not WiFi.  I've also run a continuous ping and it drops one hop after my 192.168.1.1.

USMA56795
      New Contributor

Downstream QAM256 are between 8.1dBmV and 15.8dBmV with SNR/MER at 40.7 to 41.4 dB.
      Upstream SC-QAM are at 36.0 dBmV.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Downstream is a little high and upstream is a little low but nothing really worrisome. How are the logs?