Forum Discussion

muddy7
New Contributor II
2 years ago

is this phishing email from residential@service.cox.com?

----- Original Message -----
Reply-To: Cox <no-reply@service.cox.com>
To: 
Sent: 3/2/2023 2:43:51 PM
Subject: URGENT: Email update needed.

Ensure your security update. View in browser Ensure your security update. View in browser

URGENT:
Your email is at risk

Hi xxxxx,

We're not trying to alarm you, but it's very important to update your email software before March 7, 2023.

Without this change, your software will not be secure and you won't be able to send or receive email.

However, you still will have access through Cox webmail.

Update 101

Follow these step-by-step instructions to make changes.

Questions? Reach us here at any time.

Find us on

Need help? Chat online now

Cox services and plans subject to Cox Residential Customer Service Agreement (including mandatory arbitration provisions), Acceptable Use Policy (including Cox's right to terminate service for abuse of network), and other policies at: cox.com/policies.

You are receiving this email message because you are a Cox customer. Periodically, Cox sends emails concerning information about our service that may affect you. Please note that if you unsubscribe from a promotional email, we will continue to send you these important service-related messages. If you received this email in error, please contact Cox at 800-234-3993.

©2023 Cox Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.

Communication sent by:
Cox Communications, Inc.
6205-B Peachtree Dunwoody Road
Atlanta GA 30328

Privacy

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

residential@service.cox.com seems to be a valid email but it could have been hacked. Don't click on any links. What do the instructions say to do?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'd like to see the instructions.  It reads like you need to update your third-party email client.  You can update your client within the client itself without clicking links.  This might have to do with OAuth authentication or encryption.  It's kinda vague.

• So While COX is no longer in the email business, and spends it's time trying to delete some of my accounts, they're now telling me I have to move from win7 Pro and Outlook 2003 just to get their email???     Requirements are win  8.1 or newer and outlook 2016 !!   I don't need or want that much security. this ** 

irritated_cox_u
      New Contributor

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/plan-design/security/enable-tls-1-2-client#bkmk_winhttp     Earlier versions of Windows, such as Windows 7 or Windows Server 2012, don't enable TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 by default for secure communications using WinHTTP. For these earlier versions of Windows, install Update 3140245 to enable the registry value below, which can be set to add TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 to the default secure protocols list for WinHTTP. With the patch installed, create the following registry values:   etc..     (frack.  3 systems to work on.  ) 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the tip. So you got this email too? Did it specifically mention TLS 1.2 as the requirement or just the OS/client?

I think if Cox could have it's way it would disable POP/IMAP/SMTP all together and just support webmail. First outsourcing, then grandfathering, and now this. They are slowly shrinking the amount of people they have to support.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

Residential customer email accounts have a domain ending in .net but the sender in OP's post would be a Cox corporate account which would have a .com domain.