Forum Discussion

BorkBorkerson
New Contributor
10 months ago

Phishing Scam?

Last night I signed up for Cox service and an installation at my new apartment. I received a text to schedule a phone call to discuss/confirm my appointment for the installation. The number called me at the agreed upon time, and prompted me to press 1.  The man on the other end wanted my phone number associated with the account, PIN for my account, and answer to my security question. This sounds insanely sketchy.  The number that texted and called me was addressed in Reno Texas, and was 1-800-234-3993.  Need to confirm this is a legitimate Cox Communications representative.

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Yes, that number is in fact a legitimate phone number for Cox. 

Cox customer service phone number
    The phone number for Cox TV and internet customer service is +1-800-234-3993. To sign up for Cox TV and internet service, call +1-800-234-3993 (Monday–Friday 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.).

Cox Customer Service: +1-800-234-3993 | CableTV.com

d3m3tree
    New Contributor

Your caution is unfortunately understandable and a result of all the jerks out there that consider scams a legit occupation. However that is the expected security question set they ask you to complete when signing up to ensure you are also not a jerk scammer. As long as they don’t have a heavy foreign accent ( and bless the decent immigrant who’s desire was to be a customer service rep or recruiter for they’re gonna be hard pressed to not be hung up on) you should be fine. Cox is a large conglomerate so it’s no surprise someone would call from a different state or area. Maybe they should have a way for us to verify them ?! You tell me what my moms middle name was and I’ll tell you my first car how bout that?!

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      and bless the decent immigrant who’s desire was to be a customer service rep or recruiter for they’re gonna be hard pressed to not be hung up on

I have a slight speech impediment that some people pick up as a foreign accent and I used to work Tier 1 technical support. There was that awkward pause after I introduced myself to see how they would react. I worked in a national call center so many just passed it off as local accent but some would mention it or ask "Where are you located?" which is code for "Are you in the US?". Most were nice once they saw I was someone who actually wanted to help.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I wouldn't describe that horrible "Newfie" accent as an impediment.  A'yuh.

DRVEGAS
    Valued Contributor

Yes it's a legit phone number they called me before using that phone number.