Forum Discussion

Orphiuchus
New Contributor
2 years ago

Twice the cost of TWO unlimited connections with redundancy

I'm struggling to understand how cox can continue to justify its pricing and data cap structure. I was paying 180 a month for 940 down and "32" up with unlimited data. I found that I could switch to 5g internet for 40 a month with unlimited data included, getting roughly 100-300 down and 10-30 up. I was concerned because of reliability of these connections, so I added a second 5g internet provider for 50 a month and ran both connections through a dual wan router. Now I've got 2 roughly 300 mbps connections running with redundancy and unlimited data on both for half of what cox charged.

Why is cox refusing to compete? The charge for unlimited data, which used to be free, is obscene, but beyond that everything just costs way more than the competition. Since fiber expansion seems to essentially be never happening for already built neighborhoods I'd far rather just run a simple cable internet setup, but holy ** Cox just refuses to try.

Did I just get the wrong rep when I called to ask for a lower price?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Even if Cox gave a promotional price, you'd just be avoiding their inevitable price hike.  You found a way to beat Cox.  Own it!  Not too many people could do this.

Is your redundant plan with the same provider (cell tower)?

Orphiuchus
      New Contributor

No, its two separate providers with separate networks. I don't want to specify who and get my post deleted, but there aren't that many 5g providers so it should be easy to guess.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Oh...your post will get locked in 3, 2, 1...