Read the forum guidelines
I have a 100% legit website I have been using for years. I also have some Raspberry Pi computers that also connect to this server to perfrom
A few days ago I could not get access to the site. I would get a "Time out error" on my PCs and my Raspberry Pi devices would not connect.
I bypassed my modem (ASUS RT-N66U) and went direct to the modem. I could not get to the site with my PC. The raspberry pi devices rely on WiFi.
I would assume at this point the Router is the problem. After sever reboots of the router, factory resets, clearing the NVRAM of the router, with the router in
line I could not get to this website. I could get to the website bypassing the router and on my cell phone when using cellphone tower.
I decided to swap my routers. I have several of these RT-N66U routers. I did a factory reset on the 2nd router and installed it.
Everything was working. I assumed the problem was fixed. After about 6 hours the 2nd router started the same problem, cannot
access to the website and my raspberry pi computers also no longer could connect. The second router and when my computer was
connected directly to the modem both gave me new Public IP addresses. After having COX reboot my modem twice, spending
time on the phone with a tech wanting to sell me tech service I need to talk to a higher level COX tech who can at least tell me
if they are blocking certain websites/servers and is it based on the mac address of the device connected to the modem.
I have temporarily resolved the problem by changing my routers mac address to one of my computer laptops with the last
digit of the mac address changed. This has been working well for almost 12 hours. This also tells me the 1st router is good
and I could have changed its mac and most likely be working like I am now.
How can I get access to a higher tier COX tech to review this and find out if COX is blocking certain websites?
Can you ping the website? How about a Tracert? What is the website?
I tried the pinging when I could not get to the site. I get a time out.
The interesting thing is if I use my IPvanish VPN installed software on my PC I can get to the site regardless if I use a USA server or outside the Country. (different IP addresses). So far it's been working by changing my routers mac address for 12 hours now. This is the 2nd router after it ran only 6 hours before it started giving me the same problem. I don't believe it has anything do with
PC cach since with my PCs turned off, my raspberry pi devices with a dedicated job of going to site could not work either. (they rely on the router WiFI).
So far everything is working with my router with the changed mac address. The mac address is
the same as one of my PCs with the last digit changed.
I just spent about 15 mins with a Tier 1 tech who said his supervisor would not let him transfer me to a tier 2 tech. He claims COX does not block any IP address. So at this moment I am puzzled why 2 different routers have the problem until I changed the mac address of the 2nd router. I know the only other common device is the modem but why would a arris SB6190 (on the approved COX list when I bought it) cause a single website to be blocked? My router has not been changed in a few years
and everything has been working. I have not changed the config of the router in a year.
I am very disappointed with all COX wanted to do is sell me a $10 dollar tech support just to talk
to me about an issue when could it could be their problem or it could be mine. After 2 different routers
I would like to think they would offer me the benefit of the doubt and talk about it.
KenKK said:So far it's been working by changing my routers mac address for 12 hours now.
If changing the WAN MAC address helped, sounds like a IP block by the website provider. That would explain why the VPN works. What website is it? I would contact the sysOP about a block.
To look up the technical contact for the website, see link below.
I have contacted the sites support. At first they thought it was my router and told me to reset the router. No change, now they think it might be a DNS issue. I tried changing what COX uses to GOOGLE 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11, no change. When I switched to the second router I immediately got a different Public IP. It was quite different. The original IP started with 24.250.xxxxx The Public IP from the second router started with 68. Yet after 6 hours of use I lost access to the site with the same exact "Time out error" message.
Then I tried changing the mac address of router to something almost exact as my
PCs mac address with the last digit changed. That also gave me a new Public IP address. Its been working for over 12 hours now.
I just got off the phone with COX. Once again I got the sales pitch about buying their Tech support plan for $10 and refused to pass me on to a 2nd tier tech because I own my own equipment.