20 GB of data a day when I'm not home

Is Cox internet usage accurate? I read that 20 GB of data is 240 hrs of video streaming. How is it possible that I have used 20 GB of data in one day when i wasn't even home?

• Hello Cranman,

There are many things that can cause the Data Usage to jump. I know this can be alarming and I want to help. Below I have listed some tips to keeping your network secure and managing the way data is used.

-Use Cox Security Suite for free to protect devices from malware and viruses that increase data usage.
    -Keep other people from using your data by password protecting your home network.
    -Keep tabs on the number of devices connected to your network. Also, look out for devices that automatically update themselves or back up documents
    -Streaming video typically accounts for the highest data usage. Consider changing your default streaming setting to “Medium Quality” to reduce data usage. Be sure that you’ve fully stopped your content and exit the app before turning off your TV.
    -Close any programs or streaming services you aren’t currently using.
    -Email and upload smaller photos by using tools that compress and resize images.
    -Popular security cameras like Nest Cam can use a lot more data than some people realize. Be sure to monitor data usage closely after installing these devices and adjust quality settings as needed.
    -Many smartphones will automatically backup photos and videos when they are on a wifi network. Be sure to monitor your usage after events like long vacations and consider adjusting image quality settings to use less data.

You can also learn more tips and tricks for managing your data at www.cox.com/datausage.

Download the Panoramic Wifi app for your smartphone or visit cox.com/mywifi to view a list of devices connected to your network. Panoramic Wifi customers can view which devices are using the most data.

Tiffany R.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
  • 20 GB of data is 240 hrs of video streaming

You're mixing speed and storage.  A constant 25 Mbps (megabit...not megabyte) of data would be about 10 hours for 21 gigabits.

20 gigabytes of data, however, could be a couple HD movies.

6 gigabytes is 1 HD movie.  (Nothing fancy just "standard" HD)
    20 gigabytes of HD movies would be about 3 HD movies.

I've read on the Forum updates for video consoles are quite huge…perhaps 20 GB.  A gamer would need to confirm.

• recorded future programs may record when you're not there.