Read the forum guidelines
I just finished installing Gigblast wifi today, and my wireless internet works fine.
However, when trying to connect the included ethernet cable to my laptop, my laptop says it connects successfully with internet access, but it is so slow that I can not load any pages. I have tried many possible fixes, such as flushing my DNS cache, re-installing my ethernet driver on my computer, restarting the gateway, and disabling my firewall, but nothing has worked so far. Windows network status says that I am connected to the internet.
For a full list of things I've tried (probably not exhaustive either)...
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Your modem or your computer could have a defective Ethernet port. Have you tried connecting a different computer?
Thank you. I just tried 3 computers. It works fine for one of them. I will try to do some digging if I can find a difference in settings to see if it may be the cause; otherwise I am also inclined to say that it is a defective Ethernet port.
Maybe it would help if we knew more about the effecting problem. Can you ping 184.108.40.206, if so, how about google.com? Is there any packet loss if you do 50 pings?
Ping works fine on 220.127.116.11 and google.com with -n 50 and 0% loss. I just bought a new USB to Ethernet adapter to see if it was my ethernet port, and I still have the same issue. I am thinking this is still come kind of software problem, because the wired connection works fine on another computer.
eaternet said: I am thinking this is still come kind of software proble
Try using Ubuntu Live CD or USB to rule out a Windows issue. See link below for more info.
Great idea. Booted up Ubuntu and the issue was still the same. Fast speeds on wireless that slow to a crawl any time I try with Ethernet. Now I'm thinking it's some kind of firewall or DNS issue.
Actually, I just tried several different computers (including a Mac) and none of them worked. I even tried the computer that I thought had worked before, but now I see it doesn't work (perhaps my test website was cached so it looked like it worked but it didn't). I will try to see if I can get my gateway replaced at a local Cox store.