Forum Discussion

famuv5
New Contributor
4 years ago

LAN Connectivity between Cox Modem my router failure

So we just upgraded our cox service from 300mbps modem to 500mbps trash can modem that has what appears to be 2 LAN ports to provide further external capabilities. I have COX Homelife plugged in one port and my Archer A7 Router plugged in the other which gives me extra LAN ports to plug more external devices like laptops etc. Well the connection is good but seems to drop connectivity randomly. So I reset the modem and things will go good for hours and the next day the wired connectivity seems to drop again and I have to reset cox modem or what seems to work is just disconnecting my router, reset my router, plug back into COX modem and like I mentioned it would work for hours and then drop for what ever reason. Me and my son have gone into the admin setting of the new cox cable modem to see if there's something we are missing and nothing stands out. My router supports gigabit and we are using CAT 6 cable between the Cox Modem and my router so I think it can support but connectivity drops at least once a day. Help!!

11 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Both the wired and wireless connections drop?

What type of cable connects the modem to your router...Cat-5, Cat-5e, Cat-6, etc?

The modem has 1 WAN port and probably a Switched port for Homelife.  Are the ports marked as such, or are they marked "WAN?"

famuv5
      New Contributor

Hi Bruce,

I have a CAT-6 cable between the modem and router and the ports are not labeled at all on the modem. So we lose wifi and Ethernet connectivity on my router but wifi continues to work on the modem. The first few times it dropped we unplugged my Homelife and the router and swapped ports since the ports were not label and we got the same results.

famuv5
      New Contributor

Bruce so I stand corrected. The ports are labeled Ether 1 and Ether 2 and in the modem settings Ether 2 is associated with my Homelife and Ether 1 is identified as WAN which is where I have my router plugged into.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you're not using the router-portion of Panoramic, you need turn off the router-portion of Panoramic.

You have 2 different WiFi networks broadcasting in your house (Panoramic & Archer) and it's creating wireless congestion.  Also, since your Archer is connected to a gateway router (Panoramic), the Archer is only getting a "slice" of network time.  With this combination of congestion, contention and limited time; your Archer may be suffering from buffer overflow.

As jonathanj noted, put the Pano into Bridge Mode, which essentially removes it from the network layer.

famuv5
      New Contributor

Everyone, thank you so much for the information.Bruce, JonathanJ I ended up using the Bridge Mode and it seems to have solved the problem. No more dual wifi network connection and we have been solid stream connectivity with no random drops. Thanks again for all the help.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Just in time for the Return of the Belichick Bunch!

bearone2
    Contributor III

you're paying for 500, which isn't enough steam for all you're trying to run!!

you don't mention how many other wireless devices/phones/laptops are also being used at the same time!!

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

500 Mbps is plenty...if not too much...for most households.  You're alluding to a gigabit plan but think about this:  one billion bits per second.  1 BILLION...per second.  Do you know what you'd need to be doing on the Internet to use this much bandwidth?

For example, I don't exactly know what Google Stadia does (UHD gaming?) but I've read its Pro version requires at least 35 Mbps.  This is the highest requirement I've seen...casually seen...because I'm sure there are more demanding applications out there.

You could have 10 people simultaneously using this thing in your house and still not put a dent in a gigabit plan:

* 35 Mbps × 10 = 350 Mbps
       * 350 Mbps = 35% of a gigabit plan

Due to TCP/IP, retransmissions, network overhead, etc; you could safely double this 35 Mbps requirement to 70 Mbps and still be under 75% of a gigabit plan...for 10 simultaneous streams.

The only problem with a more practical plan is Cox.  I've read subscribers rarely get 1 Gbps, site-throttling, over-subscribed neighborhood-nodes and, probably most importantly, upload speed.

Most subscribers probably don't need the 1 Gbps download speed but do need the 35 Mbps upload speed.  Cox knows this.

There is absolutely no reason why Cox can't have a greater upload speed on their 500 Mbps plan.

Anyway, OP's data plan wouldn't be the problem.

bearone2
        Contributor III

great info but doesn't he have diminished download issues rather than needing more upload.speed??