Forum Discussion

Meridian1
New Contributor
5 years ago

Internet connection outage exactly every 12 hours

All inbound/outbound internet traffic stops on our Cox Internet connection at exactly 8:24am and 8:24pm every day for approximately 2 minutes.  This is even with a hardwire connection directly to the DPQ3212.  We first started noticing intermittent drops (~2-5 min) starting about a month ago.  It's possible it may have happened/be happening more often, but the 12-hour/8:24 cycle is as predictable as a clock.  It might have gone unnoticed except that any type of streaming connection (e.g., Netflix, online games) get dropped during the 2 min outages.

The DPQ3212 Status Page does not show any out-of-spec power levels or signal-to-noise ratios before, during, or after the outages.

I've been a Cox customer since 1997 and using Cox Internet since 1999, but this is aggravating enough to look at Verizon FIOS again.

3 Replies

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    The 12 hr interval with 2 min recovery period sounds like whatever is connected to the modem is declining to renew the DHCP lease and instead requesting a new lease. Can you try connecting a computer directly to the modem and see if you continue to experience issues.

-Chris
      chorstman1
      New Contributor

Like Meridian1, I am having the same problem.  For the down time occurs at exactly 10:48.  My computer is connected directly. Any suggestions on what might be happening?  I am trying to conduct business from my home and these sudden losses in internet connection are very frustrating.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @chorstman1, I am detecting packet loss on your modem currently, which typically explains the reasons for slow speeds and intermittent connectivity. However, as you've indicated this happens at a specific time of the day, this may not be related. Our best course of action may be to send out a service technician to address your concerns. For further assistance, please reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com, Facebook, or Twitter. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator