Forum Discussion

bakersfromva
New Contributor
8 years ago

Email from IP Echelon

I received an email from you about a movie that was downloaded with our IP address.  The email was from you and one from IP Echeoln and I wanted to make sure it is a legit email from you because I have never downloaded a movie from any web sites.  My husband and I live here alone and do not have children in the house.  My question is should I be worried and pay the 150.00 they are asking for?  It was done at 11:54 p.m. so I'm sure it was a hack even though my wifi is secure with a password.  I know your email, if real, said not to contact you but I am not sure what to do.  I don't want to give into a scam or if real pay for something I didn't do.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Don't pay anything as of right now. Can you post the email you got asking for money? Please edit any personal information out(IPs', emails, account number, etc) before posting. 

What kind of security are you using on your wifi? WPA2?  If so, I doabt someone hacked through. Anyone good enough to do that wouldn't be caught by the likes of Echeoln. Is the IP in the email your current IP?

• This is the email I received and I am using WPA2. Thanks Dear Customer, We are forwarding a notice received by Cox Communications which claims that someone using your Cox High Speed Internet service has violated U.S. Copyright law by copying or distributing the copyrighted work listed in the attached complaint. THIS COMPLAINT IS FROM A THIRD PARTY AND NOT FROM COX COMMUNICATIONS. We have included a copy of the complaint, which identifies the party making the claim, the title or work they claim was infringed, and the date of the alleged infringement. We ask that you review the complaint and, if you believe it is valid, promptly take steps to remove or disable access to the infringing material (typically movies, music, books, or TV shows). If other parties are using your account, such as through your WiFi connection, you should ask them to disable file-sharing in peer to peer applications such as BitTorrent, or delete the copyrighted works. If you disagree with the claims and believe that no one using your Internet service could have been the source of the alleged infringement, please do not contact Cox Communications to resolve this matter. Cox is simply forwarding the notice to you. However, if you have WiFi, please make sure your WiFi connection is secured with a strong password to prevent unauthorized use of your Internet service. In addition, make sure anti-virus software is installed and up to date to help prevent malware infections. PLEASE NOTE: THE ATTACHED NOTICE MAY CONTAIN A SETTLEMENT DEMAND FOR MONEY OR OTHER TYPE OF OFFER FOR YOU TO CONSIDER. YOU MAY WANT TO CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY REGARDING YOUR RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES BEFORE CLICKING ON ANY LINK OR VISITING A WEBSITE LISTED IN THE NOTICE. The material that you share online or make available for sharing is your responsibility. Cox encourages responsible Internet use, but we do not monitor nor control the information you transmit. We have a policy, however, consistent with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, to take steps when we receive notifications of claimed infringement. We also have a policy of terminating repeat infringers in compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act Safe Harbor for online service providers. If we continue to receive infringement claims notices for your account, we may in appropriate circumstances suspend your account, disable your Internet connection, and/or terminate your Internet service. To learn more about your responsibilities concerning copyrighted material, please refer to our help article at: http://www.cox.com/PeerToPeerNetworks General information & FAQs about DMCA notices: http://www.respectcopyrights.org/ http://www.riaa.com/toolsforparents.php?content_selector=resources-music-copyright-notices If you would like to reply to this email, please keep the subject line intact for tracking purposes. Sincerely, Cox Customer Safety --- The following material was provided to us as evidence --- [Part 0 (html text)]

PLEASE FORWARD THIS ENTIRE NOTICE TO ACCOUNT HOLDER OF IP ADDRESS:

Dear Sir/Madam and/or Sir/Madam Subscriber,

We are writing this message on behalf of Lionsgate, with physical offices located at 1100 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, United States (Attention: Director of Anti-Piracy).

We have received information leading us to believe that an individual has utilized the IP address 70.160.69.77 at the noted date and time below to host and/or facilitate the downloading and/or streaming of content (listed below) in which Lionsgate is the copyright owner of such content (the "Lionsgate Properties"). No one is authorized to exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise distribute Lionsgate Properties without the express written permission of Lionsgate, and the unauthorized distribution of Lionsgate Properties constitutes copyright infringement. This conduct may also violate other laws, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

The title in question is:
    -------------- Infringement Details ----------------------------------
    Title: Allegiant (2016)
    IP Address: Port: Timestamp: 2016-06-18 23:54:54
    Type: BitTorrent
    BitTorrent Torrent Hash: e9687ae5833d50eb62b93586ed89b6a5aaa9ce54
    Filename: Allegiant.2016.720p.WEB-DL.999MB.ShAaNiG.mkv
    Filesize: 998.16 MB
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

The following files were included in the unauthorized copying and/or distribution: Allegiant.2016.720p.WEB-DL.999MB.ShAaNiG.mkv

You are hereby notified that unauthorized copying and/or distribution of Lionsgate's Work is a violation of the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 106. In this regard, request is hereby made that you and all persons using this account immediately and permanently cease and desist the unauthorized copying and/or distribution of the Work listed in this notice.

You may also be held liable for monetary damages, including court costs and/or attorney fees if a lawsuit is commenced against you.

In order to help you avoid further legal actions from Lionsgate, we have been authorized to present a settlement offer that we feel is reasonable for both you and the copyright holder.

Please click on this link or copy and paste this link into a browser and follow the instructions:

https://ip-echelon.report/settlement.php?case=C6585181210

If you fail to settle, the claim(s) will be referred to our attorneys for legal action. At that point the original settlement offer will no longer be an option and the amount will increase as a result of us having to involve our attorneys.

The information in this notice is accurate. We have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of herein is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by operation of law.
    We declare under penalty of perjury, that we are authorized to act on behalf of Lionsgate.

Respectfully,
    Adrian Leatherland CEO
    Address: 6715 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, 90028, United States  © 2016 Microsoft Terms Privacy & cookies Developers English (United States)

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @bakersfromva

I can say that yes we did receive a complaint and that is the email from our network security team forwarding the complaint to you as we are legally required to do. If you have questions about the complaint you can contact our network security team at 800-753-6085 and reference the ticket number in the email to discuss further.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Is your IP still the one mentioned? You can find out by googling "what is my IP".  IMO you shoudn't pay anyone, but you may want to contact a lawyer to see what your rights are.

ChrisB
    Community Manager

Hello Bakersfromva,

Not sure if you've called the number yet that ChrisL provided but we received the following update today.

Important Notice for Customers:  If you received an email notice from IP-Echelon between June 17 through June 23 stating that you were engaged in a copyright violation, please call Cox Communications at 404-269-6830  to validate this claim.