Forum Discussion

UberMikeRowe
New Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

Cisco DPC3010 Firmware Update

I just bought a Cisco DPC3010 and have it set up, looking to update the firmware. Tried to do it during install, tech didn't know what firmware was. Called another tech, said they don't do that, and she's been working there a long time.  Online chat told me to contact cisco to get it done, and not to believe the official responses from support moderators given from this forum.

My Version: dpc3010-v302r12901-091119a

I saw that there is at least this version available, if not newer: DPC3010-v302r12901-110516a

Any help would be appreciated.

• Ay-yi-yi, I hate it when people get conflicting information. Sorry about that.

Tier 2 support does firmware updates, but usually not unless the current firmware is way outdated or without a technical problem that they think the update will fix.

091119 is a safe version, so I suspect you may not get an auto-update for a while if you have it, and there wouldn't be a compelling reason to manually update. There are about ~3000 of them online in AZ. 110516 is also a safe version, there are about ~54000 of those. If you get a manual push, you'll get 120716, which has gone out to about ~1500 modems in AZ.

I, for one, don't mind doing a firmware update if it makes a customer happy. Just email us at cox.help@cox.com with your name, the address of the Cox account, and a link to this thread.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KipK
    Valued Contributor II

Ay-yi-yi, I hate it when people get conflicting information. Sorry about that.

Tier 2 support does firmware updates, but usually not unless the current firmware is way outdated or without a technical problem that they think the update will fix.

091119 is a safe version, so I suspect you may not get an auto-update for a while if you have it, and there wouldn't be a compelling reason to manually update. There are about ~3000 of them online in AZ. 110516 is also a safe version, there are about ~54000 of those. If you get a manual push, you'll get 120716, which has gone out to about ~1500 modems in AZ.

I, for one, don't mind doing a firmware update if it makes a customer happy. Just email us at cox.help@cox.com with your name, the address of the Cox account, and a link to this thread.

• I currently have the 110516 version of the firmware. What are the "improvements" with the newer firmware? Shouldn't we always upgrade to the newest? It was changed for a reason.

Thanks,
    Steve 

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

I don't think I've ever seen a release notes for the Cisco modem firmwares.  Their releases are usually very few and far in between and only address minor bug fixes at best.  Our network during the maintenance window in most cases queries modems' running firmware versions and changes them automatically based on what is approved for our network.

• Thanks so much for your response.  I'm with steve on this, they released an update for a reason. Since I couldn't find a changelog, all I can do is assume the newer firmware might provide some benefits.  Also, I just bought the modem recently as a refurb on ebay, and I wanted to compare the performance to a Moto SB6141 that I had been using temporarily to make sure I was getting proper speeds.  Turns out the speeds (upload specifically) were a little lacking compared to the Moto, so I have to rule out any firmware related issues.  

I really appreciate your detail and clarity in the response.  I'm happy to have this resolved.

Thanks again.

itsrobert
    New Contributor

How about for the Netgear CMD31T Modem current software version V504b?

KipK
    Valued Contributor II

itsrobert said:
    How about for the Netgear CMD31T Modem current software version V504b?

Several versions are permitted on the system but v504b is the only firmware we have for upload, so you're good to go there.

• Hi Kip,

I just sent you an email with the information you requested.

Thanks,

Steve

• Wow.... Pushed out within 5 minutes of the email. THANK YOU for prompt service.